High volume long lasting air filter

wrenchin 4 fun

Local time
4:35 AM
Under the category of "can't leave well enough alone", I replaced the original air filter for my Honda's Keihin carb with a high volume, long lasting one with a paper element. The housing was made from junk in my parts bin while the element is a replacement for my Kohler powered tiller. The bell is a stator cover from a vintage Sachs moped. Haven't taken it out for a ride to see how the engine runs with the new filter, but I expect it to run a little leaner now that the air is less restricted. My leg clears it even though it sticks out further than the original.

Attachments

• Honda filter.jpg
    Honda filter.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 56
  • AF example1.jpg
    AF example1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 50
  • AF example2.jpg
    AF example2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 58
  • AF example3.jpg
    AF example3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 54
Under the category of "can't leave well enough alone", I replaced the original air filter for my Honda's Keihin carb with a high volume, long lasting one with a paper element. The housing was made from junk in my parts bin while the element is a replacement for my Kohler powered tiller. The bell is a stator cover from a vintage Sachs moped. Haven't taken it out for a ride to see how the engine runs with the new filter, but I expect it to run a little leaner now that the air is less restricted. My leg clears it even though it sticks out further than the original.
Now ya just need a fesh coat of paint and a good looking gas tank and you'll have yourself a sweet looking (and performing) ride. That is if you want to, some people like the more utilitarian look.

Is that a genuine honda pump motor with a mechanical governor? I've had 2 clones one came with a 15mm shaft and that crap bushing. Yours im pretty sure is a 5/8 shaft.

I love that seat

It's a water pump engine for sure with the 15mm shaft. I removed the governor and low oil sensor, then installed a lighting coil to power the headlight, tail light, and horn. The seat is made from a banana seat pan mated to a regular seat pan and covered with leather from one of my wife's old knee-high boots. It's comfy and springy! Looking for the right tank to replace the one that came on the engine.

Will. My model didn't come with a bushing and I couldn't find a 5/8" to 15mm, so I bought a Maxtorque clutch with a 3/4" bore and used 3/4"-15mm bushing (a common size for some reason). I had to make an extension since the clutch sleeve was 1/2" longer than the shaft. I tapped the extension to M10 x 1.2 and it screws on the threaded tip of the shaft with a locking screw that goes into the sleeve of the clutch. The T model's shaft isn't keyed. So far it's holding up fine and works better than the chain clutch I was using. The locking extension comes right off with an impact driver if I need to remove the clutch, which I did often while experimenting with the gearing for the drive belt. My 149F would have been easier, but I couldn''t resist trying the Honda when I got a good deal on the price.

Whiskers got frosted this evening on a 3 mile ride to spot deer with wifie-dear. Decked out in hat and gloves, she smiled the entire way while I shivered. On the way home, the local UPS rep must have been running behind because he nearly ran over our behinds. Other than that, an exhilarating ride.

Back