Hoot Gear Box

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by dougsr.874, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

Is the new version of the Hoot gearbox any better than the old one....I had the older version and there was no free wheeling at all, and the clutch bell broke in about 2 weeks....I threw it away and bought a Stage 111, but now I need another kit.....

2. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

was the stage 3 any good?

3. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

The stage 3 is excellent as long as you go by certain rules....They being, NEVER engage the gears with the engine running....Never put oil or fluid in the gearbox....always use heavy grease....No matter what the Seller says, I've learned this from experience.

4. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

The engine will never Idle low enough for it to engage properly.You should make your engager so it is engaged all of the time.This will save your gears from being destroyed.I had a stage II for years with no problems.I also ran grease with just a touch of oil to get it moving.

5. caferacer

caferacer New Member

what type of grease? like that super thick heat resistant stuff? and how much do you put in?

6. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

I used X- TRA heavy duty #2 by Lucas.Pack it but not by the clutch.

Attached Files:

7. caferacer

caferacer New Member

wont it get moved/flung around into the clutch? being a motorized bike noob...what side is the clutch?

8. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Here is a photo..not mine ..but you get the Idea.

Attached Files:

9. Nitropeewee

Nitropeewee Member

That last pic looks freshly packed. Got a pick of it after a lil ride? Id like to see what that looks like.

10. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

The clutch is the part attached to the engine shaft.....I've not had a problem with the grease getting inside the clutch.

11. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Sorry no longer have the III gb.After it has been used the grease pretty much goes to the out side edge of the gb and like mentioned above stays away from the clutch.

12. caferacer

caferacer New Member

How often should I repack the gearbox?

13. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

I was thinking about the issues of the stage 3 as I have so far a new Macargi 7 speed and sick bike parts 4 stroke kit all ready to go. What I was thinking was drill a hole in the stage 3 near the drive bushing then tread the nhole and insert a grease nipple. Then just grease from time to time.
    Anyone who ever tried this please say if you got it to work

14. Nitropeewee

Nitropeewee Member

15. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Sry to hear bout your close encounter of the pothole kind, npw... hope ur ok!
    rc
    I'm still trying to figger what hoot is!

16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Stiff grease won't get into the clutch by itself unless you put it there. You don't have to avoid the clutch - just don't pack it into the holes in the bell housing.

Attached Files: