How to carry things on a bike with rear-friction drive?

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by kpeter02, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kpeter02

kpeter02 New Member

Hey guys? Do you have any ideas in how to carry things on a bike with a rear friction drive? I am thinking of getting one, but realized that I need to transport some things (fishing box, etc). Would it be better to get a different engine, or do you have any way to do that?

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

On my cruiser bikes w/friction drive, I'd use a front basket. Then all my stuff would jump outs the basket when I hit a small pothole or dip.

Then I installed a fromt suspension fork and cured that problem.:idea:
  3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Front basket with bunjee cord, one rear basket , works fine.
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

They make front racks now that bolt to your brake posts. They are just big enough for a six pack or gallon of milk.
  5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

umm, put your stuff in a backpack and strap it on your back.
  6. noisydad

noisydad New Member

I built a "woody rack" for my FD.
    Not only does it add to the practicality, it looks a lot better.
    Bolts on at the ends of the FD housing and has tie-down points at the corners.
    I adapted a small stainless steel scooter trunk to attach to the woody rack with bungies - I carry tools, spare tubes, and stuff in that.

Attached Files:

7. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

cool idea noisy looks like it holds some weight and thats kinda nice if you tenioner loosens up it will keep the roller on the tire at any rate....
  8. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

You can check out a kiddy hauler or check out Bob Yak trailer.
  9. loquin

loquin Active Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

On a friction drive a folding wald basket mounted on the right side of the channel works good. You need to be creative so you can still use the up/down feature of the channel.
  11. rawly old

rawly old Member

I took a piece of that angle stock with the holes and bolted it to the right
    side of the channel. added a couple short bits perpendicular, and bolted a
    cheap plastic tackle box to these after removing the trays inside. It gives me
    1.4 cu. ft. of lockable storage.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011