How to make a 24v source power a 96v motor.

Here's the bike. Got it for free from a relative. Woot-woot.

Also, how do you get the pulley off a typical eletric motor??? haha It seems to be just wedged on there!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 382
Nice bike. Some pulleys have a very small set screw or are just pressed on. A puller of some sort may work if it's pressed on. Be careful of the DIY route You may end up with an ugly mess like mine

Attachments

• Dyno Electric 3.jpg
    Dyno Electric 3.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 375
Wouldn't mind having one myself. But it seems a little too good to be true. That much HP for a mere $169.04. Of course the bidding is not finished yet. Doesn't seem right to me.

Can you guys link me to some 24v motors that are known to perform well? I want ATLEAST 1000watts.

Thanks!

You can head over to http://www.goldenmotor.com The motors they have usually get pretty good ratings over at endless sphere. Thinking of getting a magic pie rear hub motor myself once the income tax return comes in. The site is in china but they list distributors all over the world. Cyclone Taiwan may also have what your looking for as well. The motors are good i guess, but the rest of the components seem to be substandard. Sorry there are 72v controllers, possibly 96v as well. You may want to consider different batteries as well. SLA(Sealed Lead Acid) are not recommended for that much wattage. Plus they are much heavier than newer lithium batteries(pick your flavor). But of course they are much more expensive. Just a suggestion you don't have to take it as gospel.

Last edited:
Since you are such a noob to all this electronics jazz, I would definately suggest getting a hub motor kit. You want to spend more time riding than fixing right? There are many issues with chain drives:

How to mount the motor so it is solid
Where to mount the motor so it is not in my pedal stroke
How to mount the motor so the chainline clears the seatstay and chainstay
How to fit a sprocket to the motor shaft
How to make sure the motor freewheels while it is off
How to attach a rear sprocket to the rear wheel
How to tension the chain
Which size sprockets to use
Why is my motor getting so hot
Why didn't I just get a Hub motor!!!:rolleyes:

The treadmill motor wouldn't be too bad an option to start with since it is free. Your voltage is the determining factor in motor speed, so at so 48 volts it is going to be turning at half it's normal speed, which might not necessarily be too bad. If the motor spins too fast you will have problems with gear down to the rear wheel. You can also buy brushed controllers for relatively cheap since they are fairly simple devices. Your batteries are a concern to me, you should look into getting some Ebay PING batteries, the chemistry is LiFePo4. You can also use tool batteries like the 28 volt Milwaukee, or Bosch, or even Dewalt.

Good luck, sick bike parts has lots of good adapters for ebike conversions using an external motor.

Nominal Voltage 12V
Capacity (25ºC) 134 Ah
Length 13.5
Width 6.8
Height 11.2
Weight 94.8 lbs.

thats 758.4 # in batteries i dont see a bike carring that much weight
to get the 96 volts
oh yeah price

Price: $382.64
it can be done but not cheap and won't be light using that size battery

best bet hub motor and small sla battery pack