HS 142F-1G (49cc) and HS 144F-1G (53cc) 4-stroke engine electric systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCvale

In memory of KCvale 1959 - 2019
Local time
7:06 PM
Via Don Grube I am in direct contact with the main man at the Shandong Huasheng Zhongtian Machinery GroupCo.,Ltd LinYi City ,ShanDong Province,China

We are discussing the ability to cheaply add a 12V system to the existing HS engines out there similar to the short term production 144F-1D engines.

In short who would be interested in a ~50cc 4-stroke with a reliable 12V system?
Be it an add-on kit or on the engine to start, are enough people actually willy to fork out the cost for MB 12V battery based power source that won't kill the engines ability to get you around?

Big investment to go with my new KCK long shaft transfer cases so chime in.

It would open up all new hardware for lights, turn signals, USB charging ports, etc. For the sake of safety alone, it would be worth it.

Wayne

HS only made a few of the HS 144F-1D engines with a built in 12V system for a specific customer.
They won't make the engines again for less than an order of 1,000 so forget that.

I did point out to them this morning that a bolt on power system already exists.

Phantom bikes has a little bolt on gen/light for the HS142F and 144F engines.
http://phantom-bikes.com/parts/standard-light-system/

They will sell just the gen for like $150.

Stator.jpg

I'll keep you informed, in the mean time I got 2 53cc HS 144F-1G engines in yesterday.
I also have a pair of 10G long shafts so when my backlog of builds is caught up it's time for some fun builds ;-}

With respect to Mr. Grubee what exactly does cheap mean? Do you want mass sales and forget quality and customer loyalty? Which is it?

The HS 144F-1D system worked...

HSengines2.jpg

But simply not popular on an engine with no electric start.
These engines are primarily on small equipment like pumps and generators, with no electric start they have no need for battery power.

A 7.4V system based on 18650 3.8V LI cells for storage on the other hand might be a better add-on option.
All those nice super high Lumen CREE LED headlights I use have a battery pack with 4 of those cells.
The problem is, unlike Lead Acid batteries, you can't charge and discharge them at the same time.

Just food for thought.

To be quite honest, I've had good success with a 12v friction dynamo and scooter rectifier. Cheap and simple, and has overcharge protection by default. What I mean by that is this. When the tire stops spinning, as with braking, the friction dynamo stops spinning. Therefore, anything electrical that is activated at that time has to draw power from the battery, thus draining some of it's charge. Therefore, the battery cannot overcharge. Even if all I'm using is a brake light, it will draw enough power from the battery to prevent overcharging. I know this works, because I have used the system to charge a small 1.2Ah battery and run led headlight and tail light. Never blown a bulb and never overcharged a battery. Used a custom made on-board battery gauge to keep track of battery voltage. Friction generator output peaked at 17-18vdc with 26" heels with a cruising speed of 30mph. All I'm saying is, it's a cheap and reliable system for those who can't afford to spend a lot of money on something pre-designed and built.

Me im currently running a 12 volt solar panel with a controller to keep power to the battery

I run separate 6v, 7.2v, and 12v systems with independent grounds for my different needs on my bike:

The 6v is from my Sturmey Archer hub, it recharges my small NiCAD battery and powers my running lights.
The 7.2v system runs my dual Cree headlights, powered by type 18650 batteries. These require their own chargers.
The 12v system runs my TrailTech Vapor computer and eventually my brakelight assembly. Runs off a small AGM 5AH battery that I plug in once a month.

Despite being comfortable with plugging in my stuff as needed, I'd really like to see a small bolt-on 12v system for GXH50/Huashengs!

(hopefully cheaper than Phantom's, too)

Despite being comfortable with plugging in my stuff as needed,
I'd really like to see a small bolt-on 12v system for GXH50/Huashengs!
(hopefully cheaper than Phantom's, too)
$150 without a light isn't too bad.
It's still just one magnet on the flywheel.
Now 4 evenly spaced magnets on the flywheel would quadruple the output but the Mag/CDI needs 1 pulse per rotation not 4.

10Gbase5-4.jpg

Perhaps 4 magnets tucked in between fins on the outside so they don't interfere with the CDI, a pair of coils could be mounted right against the cdi mag.

10GbaseMetal4-2.jpg

You know the only reason these engines have that big forced air cooling flywheel is because they are designed to be operated sitting still and even enclosed.

We don't need no stinking cooling fan! We make our own wind! ;-}

The -1D had a different crank shaft which is a mod killer, but just a different flywheel on the other hand opens up some possibilities for a conversion kit...
Let's give that some thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back