Internal geared hubs?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Drunkskunk, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

I have a SBP kit being shipped, and want to use it with a 7 or 8 speed hub. I've read plenty of reviewes on Nexus, Surmey Archer, SRAM, and NuVinci hubs from regular pedal pushing cyclists, but what hub is best for putting real motor torque through it?

I plan to use the bike geared down low, andclimb hills with it, so My main goal is torque over speed.

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

And one you didn't mention is the German made Rohloff 14 speed, considered by many professional bike mechanics to be the best.......but, of course priced at around $900 explains why it's often not mentioned around here.

As to which might be the best of those mentioned I'll leave to others opinion, however I think it important to consider that an an average cyclist weighing 180 to 200 lbs., in reasonable physical condition, off the seat and on the pedals cranking up a hill will be generating loads more torque than any of the common MB motor types.
    The wear and tear of higher sustained speeds will be more of a factor.
  3. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

From what our customers have reported, the NuVinci is the way to go with an internal hub transmission. The other internals seem to be hit and miss as far as durability. One never knows however what sort of abuse these things are subjected to by overzealous riders. A standard derailleur seems to work quite well as long as they are set up and adjusted correctly.
  4. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

Well, I had planned to do this "eventualy" as I have a perfectly fine Nexus 3 speed now, but...

In the process of putting on the motor, I found the 1 piece crank was too narrow. it would need a 3 piece conversion as well as a botom bracket kit.
    Adding up the cost, it was half what a shifter kit would cost, So I decided to grab a shifter kit since it included the crank arms and bottom brackets, and they also sell a good bb conversion.

I thought I was all set, but I over looked just one minor detail...

Coaster brake and a freewheel crank don't mix.

An there's no provision for any other kind of brake. I'll either have to get one with an internal cable opperated drum, or fabricate a disk mount.
  5. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

A bit of a pain. Will old conventional caliper or linear-pull brakes fit?
    Not that I'd necessarily recommend them for pulling an MB up - I'm a bit worried about my linear-pull brakes and have been thinking about a hydraulic disk front end, or at the very least, a cable disk, (forks, hub, fitttings). Not cheap, with suspension, but these things are hard to stop at 30mph+.

I got to 52mph today, but was lucky that nothing jumped out in front of me.
    Even before I fitted the shift kit, with one fixed gear, my front brake shoes were melting and leaving a layer of rubber/plastic on the rim - you should see it now. Worst thing about that is that the layer of rubber on the rim makes the shoes grip really dangerously if you're not careful. I'm sick of scouring rubber/plastic off the rim between rides. It's either disk brakes or much better, high-speed shoes.

... Steve
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

I hear you on that. I've got a 4hp peak electric that's a pain to haul down from 40mph. I had to mount front and rear disk brakes on itjust to cope with the heat

On this bike though, rim brakes aren't an option. the frame and fender's wouldn't accomidate them, and the rim is a 50mm wide unit with balloon tires, so not much would wrap around it.

I may end up going with a drum brake hub
  7. AussieSteve

Wow, a 3,000W peak electric bike. I'd love a ride. It makes my 200W electric seem a little lame. Any pics?
    My electric has front and rear cable-operated disks, too, along with full suspension. Nice to ride, but low on power for hills.
    (There's a pic in the 'My Rides' album on my profile page.)

... Steve
  8. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

Sure. Pic here:
    74 volt, 40A limited controller. 3000 watts peak, or 4 horsepower. on what would normaly be a 500 watt motor. It pulls 1200 watts at cruising speed, but will hit 3000 on acceleration and hills.

Lots of fun, but run at those power levels, range is... limited :grin5:
  9. AussieSteve

Not a bad looking bike. I like the rear suspension.
    What capacity batteries?

... Steve
  10. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

74 volt, 10 Amp hour of RC liPo batteries. I could drain them in 15 minutes of hard riding, but its also a fairly efficent motor if i want to cruise at normal bike speeds.
  11. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Sturmey make an 8spd with 70mm cable operated drum brake and an 8 speed for disc brake. Shimano also have 7 & 8 spd hubs with cable operated roller brake. Sturmey is easier to rebuild than a Shimano but recent changes of Sturmey ownership have complicated supplies and spare parts in Australia anyway so Shimano are better for us here. I think those hub gears can take a lot of abuse because those trail riders give it to them and they seem to stand up to it OK. The torque from the human leg can be really immense.
    The nuVinci sounds great but it hasn't got the ratio of a large hub gear.
  12. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

pity your bike has 1 inch forks and not 1 .1/8 forks id give you my old fork that is disk capable ..
    i know that gasman has 1 inch forks that fit disks
  13. AussieSteve

Howdy, Brad. It's not too urgent. I can probably get them locally, but for now I'm hunting on eBay for top-notch brake shoes that won't melt. I've had 'Kool Stop' shoes recommended.

If I still have problems I'll change to a disk front end.

... Steve
  14. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

disk fork

ohh i forgot big w has a bike from dunlop ....defuse its 1 inch an disk brake

only its 170 bux at the moment ..
  15. AussieSteve

No BigW here, mate. They bought the land, did the planning, then nothing for 5 years.
    I might try to get up to Wollongong, I think there's one there.
    I'll check out KMart too, just in case. At least we have one of those.

As I said, though, I'm not in too much of a hurry. I'll try better brake shoes first.
    I'm thinking of doing a full-suspension build next, so then I'll buy a frame with disks, hydraulic if possible.
    I'd love to build a really nice MB, based on what I've learned along the way.

Thanks for the help,
    ... Steve