KINGS S&S CNC anodized rings for shift kit.

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by MOTOMTB, May 20, 2011.

1. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

Just recieved my gold anodized chain rings to replace the super heavy steel rings on the shift kit. 36T and 44T. These puppies are light light light! and look sooo clean and trick. I luv em. Only thing, the bolt holes needed drilling to 13/64", they came a bit small.

Here's the best part, weight of crank, freewheel, rings and pedal before = 3.5lbs. Weight with the super light KINGS S&S rings, just under 2.5lbs, that's a total of 1 POUND savings! very significant. Can totally feel the difference too.

Attached Files:

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Very nice. How long did ordering and shipping take you?

Thanks for the pictures!

3. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

Ordered right off the website on May 02, had them May 20th. About 100$CAD total. A little pricey but VERY worth it. Be sure to mention that they're for the shift kit freewheel.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Wow! Those are nice!
    rc

5. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Those are sick! Where did you get them? I can't find them anywhere...

6. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

7. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Way nice... Could you feel much difference in performance?

I was thinking if a 43T and 37T to up my gear ratio a bit.

8. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

CNC rings

Performance? same tooth size as stock so not really but with regards to weight, hellz ya. It will take off a noticeable amount of weight off the bike. The steel rings are sooo needlessly heavy. Every bit counts.

9. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Do you think it was a more noticeable difference in overall bike weight or in rotating mass during acceleration?

10. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

CNC rings

Forget rotational mass, there is some effect but you wouldn't notice it. No, just take a 1pound weight and tape it to your bike, let me know if you like it. See what I'm saying. These things are like feather weight and just as strong and look badass. I would consider it a Necessary mod, along with other necessary motor mods.

11. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Yeah I totally understand how one pound is alot when we are talking about motor bikes. I was just unclear if the advantage was pure weight reduction or if there were rotational benifits as well.
    I shall be looking into those in the future, they look awesome and weight reduction never hurt anyone.

12. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

For sure, I have probably saved 5+ pounds just by modding stock parts from different companies.

13. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

Anyone using a shift kit from SB. it's a super sturdy kit but it's all steal, it's soooo heavy and IMO slightly over build. I'd like to see the bracket out of alum and the steel thru shaft too. At least they now offer that 17T primary drive gear in alum, the steal one was soooo heavy and overbuilt.

14. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

How much weight would you say you saved with their alum 17T?

What other parts have you changed?

15. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

Ha. Well, I can't really compare because my whole bike frame is custom built, I built my own alum mounting bracket specific to my frame. I build my own custom motorcycles, weight is not much of an issue but when building mtb's, everything counts, I build them as light as possible then reinforce when something breaks. It's sort of a backwards approach to motorcycle frame building. The 17T drive sprocket from SB for 25$ is a must have! that steal OEM thing is so heavy it's stupid, their bracket too is really overly heavy. I had everything measured out in grams but I would estimate that swapping for alum rings from K&S and changing for that aluminum drive sprocket will get you close to 1.2lbs savings. The 5/8" steal shaft for the kit is nice and strong but too heavy too, it could easily be made out of hardened aluminum for way less weight. Or have a hollowed steal shaft. All these little savings make a difference overall. On my custom bike, I've used a pit bike shock for rear suspension which is 3lbs! My last mod for weight savings will be a lightweight mtb shock with ti spring, 2lbs. I've also used ti hardware where ever I could, my bike has a lot of heavy bolts piecing it together and using ti I saved .5 lbs over steal bolts! My bike is a bad *** DH moto rig weighs in about 65lbs, without all the little weight saving mods I would be over 70lbs. It totally makes a difference, it's just light enough to bunny hop, before, you literally couldn't bunny hop it.

16. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Nice to know. I would love to see some pictures of your work.

I am into downhill mountain biking so I can really appreciate that what you are talking about.

My hardtail is 59lbs right now with the shift kit, and I can barely bunny hop the thing without throwing my back out!

17. MOTOMTB

MOTOMTB Member

Ha. I jumped it last season and snapped the frame, repaired it but havn't had chance to tweak it, repaint, repretty it. When I do this I post some pics. It's one of a kind, better than Pipelyne.

Ya, I only can get it in the air by compressing the suspension and jumping off the rebound. Kind of like a trials bike.

18. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

No pictures of before the wreck?? Awwwww....

I think my next big project will be a full suspension... Getting jealous... I'm better at catching air using the rebound too so that just got me...

Well sorry for taking your thread way off topic. Looking forward to when you fix that beast.