Kirk From LA interested in Friction Drive

kircules

Local time
1:43 AM
Hey All,

I've been a moped kid for about 5 years...I've rebuilt puchs and peugeots from the ground up. Right now I'm working on rebuilding my 2nd 1979 puch magnum...

Anyhoo...I've been jonesing for something friction drive...like the lame duck AMF roadmaster or a chicken power kit...

I know these kits are probably the armpit of these forums, but I really want something weird/ unique...I have a nice moped i want something strange..

Any idea on where to start looking for friction power kits or bikes?

Hi Kirk, and welcome to MBc. You may want to check out the friction drive section of the forum for info about those particular units, but if you're set on one I'd suggest checking Craigslist or eBay. I don't see those vintage kits offered in the Buy/Sell/Trade section very often.
You'll fit right in with this crowd, as there are many members who rtide friction drive bikes. Gee, and I thought I was buying something strange when I bought a 1978 (Puch) Free Spirit moped a few weeks ago... :D
And speaking of Free Spirit, they (Sears) offered one of the friction drive kits as well. Bumblebike is another one.

Last edited:
Hi Kilroy,
Yea I love my puchs. I've rebuilt the engines countless times and taken a bike down to the bare nuts and bolts before a rebuild.
I'll keep my eyes open for something more vintage. Maybe even find an old solex.
Those subaru motors look cool, but a little big for my liking...

might even get an AMF roadmaster and go crazy on it for burning man...

Welcome aboard. Yes, check out the friction forum here. I like friction kits & think they are the most ideal way to power a bike. You can see one in my avatar.

Back