Engine Trouble KS Bike Machine Engine 1972

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by RatBikeMan, Sep 10, 2016.

1. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Good Morning,
    I'm new to this forum. I have a really nice KS Bike Machine friction drive (rear wheel) engine I picked up on Craiglist lately. It is really nice and clean and used very little still had the original box.
    I installed it on a rat rod bike and started using it
    It would start every time for about 2 weeks, then the bike sat for awhile and I went to start it and could not get it going, pulled the plug out and checked seems to be no spark. Just curios if anyone has one of these engines or experience with them?

Thanks for your time in matter.
    RatRodBike

Attached Files:

2. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

Very strange looking engine can you put up some closer pics of the engine we dont need to see the bike (no offence)

3. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Some close up pictures....

Attached Files:

4. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Is that an NT carb on a 70's model engine?!?!? AWESOME!
    I've only seen those on HT engines

I don't have any experience with those kits but make sure where you're loosing spark

Mag? Coil? Plug wire? Plug?

Problem solving:)

5. zippinaround

I had a quick search and it seems lots of the parts are the same for pb400 or pb300 bacpack leafblowers , apparently if its the type without points you will have to come up with your own fix because they stopped making the electronic type ones in 1980 (just what i read on another forum may not be true) but anyway search around they look like pretty cool engines tho

6. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

That you so much zippinaround and Frankfort MB's
    For your helpful input in helping me trying to solve my not spark issue.

7. zippinaround

you will have to open up the case where the plug lead goes and see if its a cdi or points

8. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Points looks like

Attached Files:

9. zippinaround

Points ,nice you probably just need a new contact brush or might just need to adjust the gap if your lucky.

10. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Adjusted the gap a bit and sanded the contacts on the points. Will try to start it once I get home this evening.

11. zippinaround

Haha fingers crossed I used to put some oil on the contact can't think of the name now but it's the stuff they used in oil cooled welders , quick rub of that on a new one makes it last a lot longer , probably help put some kind of oil on the contact after sanding .

12. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Zippinaround
    Thank you so
    Much for the tip on the oil. I seem to be getting a good spark with the plug out now.

zippinaround likes this.
  13. RatBikeMan

RatBikeMan New Member

Thanks again zippinaround. The motor fired right up for me. I still need to put some oil on the points.

Ratbikeman

14. zippinaround

Just a smidgen should do , it's not essential but the contact will corrode faster without it , best of luck

15. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

That's cool. I had a Sears Bike Bug front mount engine from about that time. Made by Tanaka I believe. Anything from '72 should be 10 times better than the Chinese crap available these days. I don't understand why most of the single speed guys aren't using quality friction drive kits instead of the Chinese cheese