Master link popped off

James L

Local time
4:31 AM
I got a new bike kit, mounted everything and took it on its maiden voyage about 50 feet, I noticed the chain alignment was off due to the tensioner. I readjusted the tensioner.
Everything looked ok.

2nd try: I decided to go a little further. And the chain snapped at what looks like the master link. I'm not sure if it was just the master link or that and another link, hard to say.

I'm not sure which way the open or closed end of the master link should go.
Could this have caused the chain to break like it did?

I do have a brand new chain though.
But after looking at YouTube videos I can't really see which way they installed it. Should the closed end point towards the rear wheel or should it point towards the front wheel?

Also is there a place i could get more master links like tractor supply or similar?

I have been searching for hours to figure out what kind of chain it is. I know it's a 415 but I've seen mentions of 415 and 415H. I'm not sure what the difference is

Thanks

The stock chain is poo i can bend it with my toes . I think the clip open end should face the motor when on bottom chain so when it goes around it hits on what ever the closed end first. I use 415h on every bike h is for hard /heavy duty I get them on eBay.

Attachments

• DSC_0218.JPG
    DSC_0218.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 111
think of opening in clip as the tail of a fish - as the link moves, that tail should be at the rear

your chain probably snapped due to bad tensioning - when setting chain tension, roll bike thru 2 full turns of rear wheel to be sure there isn't a tight spot somewhere - also, if too loose, it may climb up side of sprocket and become too tight

The closed end goes in the direction of chain travel, that way if it hits something it won't pop right off.
And here's a tip...
Put your master link in from inside so on the outside you can find it easier.

Yeah, I found local hardware shops don't carry 415 chain or master links. I was impatient and didn't want to wait for one to arrive in the mail so I got the 410 or something that was real close. It actually works, lol.

Back