Maximum safe cylinder head temperature (CHT)

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have it! I think I'll go with the mid level compression with one plug as I cannot afford another cdi. As for machining the head to fit the temp sensor hopefully I can find a grinding bit to fit into my router for a clean shave of the fins.

Hopefully the guy who makes these actually reads the forums and knows people want and need the head to accept a temperature guage and is busily making an improved version right now. I'd kind of expect that to come as standard considering the price.
I may end up needing a space for a compression release valve too.. dunno yet.

Hopefully the guy who makes these actually reads the forums and knows people want and need the head to accept a temperature guage and is busily making an improved version right now. I'd kind of expect that to come as standard considering the price.
I may end up needing a space for a compression release valve too.. dunno yet.

Considering that only a minuscule amount of extra milling machine time would be needed to cut a TTO cylinder head temperature temperature sensor relief, i can't see why it isn't offered as an option to those who require a TTO CHT sensor fitted to their billet cylinder head.

Hopefully Fred is watching this forum, with views to offering a ready made solution.

Last edited:
I would think anyone who feels the need to spend that much on a cylinder head that has improved cooling as it's main advantage is going to want to know the temperature of the thing. Seems.. logical.

I hope so, Fabian. I wouldn't feel right emailing him asking about it as I'm not actually intending to get one for a good while yet.

With regards to making the choice of which head to buy..
Is there a simple and easy way to predict or at least make an educated guess at what the cranking pressure will be with each head, based on current pressure readings and combustion chamber volume measured on one's engine? (Not forgetting of course that some adjustment could be made using different gaskets/gasket arrangements.)
I'm sure there is but I doubt I'd explain it very well being less than novice at the moment, and I would probably miss a few steps out by accident. "Certainly" you'd want to measure current cranking pressure using your compression tester and also measure the combustion chamber volume with your burette, as well as noting the current piston-to-head clearance I should think. Then perhaps some value needs to be added to the stated combustion chamber volume of each of the replacement cylinder heads, as they wouldn't (couldn't?) take into account the piston to head clearance of each individual, highly variable, possibly modified HT. Am I on the right track?
I don't wanna end up with eight cylinder heads just to find the one I need! xD

Last edited:
some adjustment could be made using different gaskets/gasket arrangements.

I did not find success with the high compression version of either the Rock Solid Engines billet cylinder head or the CR Machine Manufacturing billet cylinder head.

My advise would be to get the medium compression cylinder head, as it will cover the greatest amount of compression variance options if using head gaskets to modify the compression ratio.

Okay, thanks. I would probably end up doing that anyway but just wanted to know if there is a quick and easy way to predict close enough what the outcome would be with each different combustion chamber volume option. Btw, what's your cranking pressure atm with the "medium"?

ofc I might end up using base gasket options to modify timing, piston-head clearance and cranking pressure in one go depending on how badly the manufacturer screwed that up on the engine I get.. idk yet though, haven't got one, lol. Just shootin' the breeze here for now, it's more stimulating than the other forums I belong to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back