Maytag engine!

I had no idea that these things existed. (Must tell my buddy, too, he was born in 1928. He loved a friend's, ('olkoot+' Ken, I hope I got your moniker right), 1928 Ford Tudor when I showed him a pic.)

For 18 years, I lived in the bush on the edge of a rain forest near Coffs Harbour, (North-East coast of OZ), about 10 years of that without mains power.
Had a 12V solar system with a 3HP (Victa) lawnmower engine belt-driving a car alternator for backup in the often rainy, overcast weather.
30W B&W 14" TV, 12V 60W lights with DC-DC dimmers, but certainly no washing machine.
I used a 5 gallon bucket for the tub and a soup can with holes, screwed onto the end of a short length of broomstick as a plunger. (Picture it - sit in front of the TV with a beer, working the plunger up and down in the bucket. Nothing like my new LG machine that even plays me a tune when it's finished.)

If only I'd known or thought of it..... All those hours.
I've almost got a new hobby. I want one, even now, living in the city with all the usual mod cons.

Yep, I'm an old hippy.

Just saw a couple of the newer posts. Something I liked about old 2-strokes was their low-down torque. Look at this Maytag - 1000RPM, ¾HP, (560W), but I'll bet it would pull like a draught horse.

Try to get my ~2.5HP 66cc HT to even run at 1000RPM, let alone do any work.....

The whole 2-stroke world has gone to the other extreme in recent years.
My first real bike was a (2-stroke) 350cc Jawa twin, predecessor to the Jawa 'Californian', for those old enough to remember. 16BHP at 3500RPM, but tons of torque. Idled at about 600, like a 4-stroke.
One of my dirt bikes was a (2-stroke) Bultaco 'Sherpa T' 360cc trials bike, years ago. (Rode competition trials for a short time.) As mentioned in another thread, more torque than almost any 4-stroke I've ever owned.
Nowadays, it's all 12,000 RPM+. Kills the engine quickly. Give me lower revs, more torque and a slightly higher gearing anytime. (Should buy a Ducati or Harley, I guess.)

Again, my 2 cents worth,
... Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Simon. Most of my memories of that engine revolve around the "tongue lashing" I got from my father for cutting up the lumber he had purchased for some project. That and having to use a hatchet to cut the lumber because he wouldn't let me use a power saw. Oh, and the hired hands spark tester.....told me to hang on the plug wire as he kicked it over...... Hmmm, I just realized why my parents considered me a "problem child." :devilish: It did have a few engineering problems too....such as the scrubber roller dropping on the wheel before I was onboard after starting it....
Your story reminds me of my scooter I had as a small boy. I wore braces on both legs, and couldn't ride a bike as a consequence of that. I had a stand up kick scooter, and talked my Dad into helping me put an old B&S lawn mower engine on it with friction drive to the rear wheel that engaged with a lever handle. Nearly killed myself on that thing one day, but Boy, Howdy! did I ever have fun with it.

*editL Just saw your last reply, Steve.

I lived in Lesotho for a while, and NO ONE had a washing machine. It was all hand labor, much as you have described. So I built one. Utterly simple, built it out of scavenged materials. Just a 32 gallon steel drum type barrel, with a wooden lid. I made a loose fitting plunger with several big holes in it from a plastic five gallon lard bucket lid, fixed that to the end of a rod (which was a central flower stalk from an agave plant), and hooked that to a really simple three bladed rotor windmill as an eccentric off the flywheel.. Fill it about halfway with water, dump in the clothes and soap powder, release the shaft brake and any decent breeze did the laundry. Still had to change the water a couple times for rinses, and line dry the clothes, but it worked great.

Last edited:
Here's some pics of a Maytag, from the antique engine swapmeet a couple years back....
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7101&highlight=antique+engine+swap

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Washing machine engines for rural areas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oLV9DW_n8
Different engine, on bicycle

similar engine to one being sold, stock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1dgegN67zg

smoothed out and souped up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67FI5ABQxE&feature=related

Love it. Any idea when it was made, what the displacement is and the original purpose? Denny? Simon? Anyone?

I used to have an 'Atco' roller lawn mower that had a similar kick start, although the fins were deeper. About 40's to 50's.

Is the Maytag intended for really cold climates? (Almost no fins.)

attachment.php

... Steve

Back