more Power when cold

old whizzer

Local time
7:41 AM
Weather being unseaonably warm I just had to ride problem is after riding a few miles it seems to be less power on long grades after letting it cool down the power is back. This an NE5 I have replaced the lifters with mushroom lifters seemed to be good in 40 degree weather but at 60 after warm up it has less power have checked valve lash could it be in the carburator?
Thanks Ralph

Check for a blown head gasket, or possible air leaks in the intake manifold system.
It is also possible that the gas could be stale or jets in the carburetor are partly stopped up.

Make sure the exhaust pipe isn't turning blue near the manifold [lean and can be caused by either a head gasket or pulling air in the intake].

Feel free to call me if needed
252-475-0406 cell

Have fun,

Quinton
You hit it right on the head gasket! exaust stain on left side oil stain on right and exaust pipe is blue next to manifold.
Thanks Ralph

Hi Ralph,
Use a copper head gasket as the replacement. Often the head is warped in the process. You can use #220 sandpaper on a flat surface to re-surface the head. I use a piece of granite [marble]. If the head is real bad you may need to mill it. Milling the head will increase the metal between the large 10 MM head bolts and the combustion chamber because the sidewalls of the chamber are tilted inward as they approach the top of the chamber. If you have a problem getting the head milled [if needed], contact me and I can re-work the combuston chamber and mill .060" to help the flow.

Have fun,

Back