motorcycle light hook-up??????

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dky777m, Apr 10, 2011.

1. dky777m

dky777m New Member

I have recently bought a motorcycle light for my bicycle and I'm looking for ideas of how to light it up? I cant use the motor so i am looking for ther alternatives such as rechargeable battery! I would really like to use this light because it fits the look of the retro i went with! Its a bullet style light with a 12 enclosed light fixture! Any ideas????????

2. dky777m

dky777m New Member

12 volt light that is!!!

3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

anything that will give you 12 volts...a motorcycle battery? a lawn tractor battery? you need something small because there isn't much room on a bike frame to mount a battery...unless there's really small 12 volt batteries out there that i don't know about.

4. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

ahh, good thinking...2 11.1 volt lipo batteries in paralell.
    a charger and the batteries could set you back a few bucks, but they'll work and since they are 2200 maH each, they should last awhile before they need to be re-charged.
    I'm into r/c's (electric monster trucks and buggies) and i didn't think of doing it this way.

6. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

7. dky777m

dky777m New Member

8. loquin

loquin Active Member

dky777m - it WOULD work. But, for how long?

The battery shown supplies 12V, 2.3 amp-hours (aH.)

The 2.3 aH is the key number - this is the capacity of the battery. The battery can supply 2.3 amps for 1 hour, or 1 amp for 2.3 hours. The greater the number of aH, the longer the battery can supply current at a given load.

You haven't told us the current (amps) or power (watts) that your motorcycle headlight needs. If it had a 36 watt bulb, the current the battery would need to supply is 36W/12V, or 3 amps.

2.3aH / 3a = 0.77 Hours, or about 46 minutes.

If the bulb is 55W, then the same calculation shows 4.6 amps of battery current is needed, and a time of 30 minutes with a 2.3 aH battery...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

i honestly think you would be better off with lipo batts they have the juice to get you wher you need to go at nite well you figure those halogen lites used in baja lite like what you put on truck rollbars and they stay lit 45 minutes without draining the batt all the way down and those lites are big and brite heck each pack is 10 bucks buy to packs and paralell them and you could probally ride all nite with them on a regular 12v lite

10. dky777m

dky777m New Member

What does this mean to run them parallel? Not to savvy in the electrical field!

11. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

ok paralell mean this lets say you have to 11.1 volt batts and they are rated at 2200 mah you run a paralell connector and you still have 11.1 volts but your mah would double to 4400 mah in turn would double your run time and in turn make your lite briter with out blowing the bulb we use them in radio controlled vehicles alot i in airplanes lets sai with one pack i can fly 10 minutes with 2 packs i can fly 20 or minutes in paralell and have more power.

12. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

paralell means that when you use to battery packs together you keep the same voltage but it will last longer than a single pack like this 11.1 pack at 2200 mah add another pack to it same voltage and mah instead of having 22.2 volts you will have 11.1 volts and 4400 mah which is double the power you had before and last 2 times and maybe 3 times as long as a single pack hope that helps

13. TucsonDIrect

TucsonDIrect Member

Just clarification

Parallel ( "|" = a wire ) 0=empty space (editing reasons)

+ [12v] - 10ah
    |000000|
    + [12v] - 10ah
    |000000|
    |000000|
    |=00000|
    + [12v] - 20ah total

Series

+[12v] - 10ah
    |00000|_______________ ( Negative "-" Cable)
    |
    -[12v] + 10 ah
    000000|_______________ (Positive "+" Cable)

Above equals 24v (volts) at 10ah (amp hours)

Hope this helps clear things up a little

NEVER WHEN RUNNING IN SERIES CONNECT BOTH CABLES TO BOTH BATTERIES YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE 1 CABLE CONNECTING THE 2 BATTERIES +TO - AND ON EACH BATTERY THE ONE THAT IS NOT LINKED TO THE OTHER BATTERY SHOULD BE FREE I.E LEFT BATT IS LINKED TO OTHER BATTERY ON THE POSITIVE SIDE THIS MEANS THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THIS BATTERY SHOULD BE "FREE" OR ON YOUR 24V LOAD AS THE NEGATIVE INPUT AND THE RIGHT SIDE WOULD BE THE OPPOSITE
    Should you screw this part up you will find out very soon Please be careful around boxes filled with explosive gasses, acid, lead and all things deadly!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  14. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

You lost me. Who is this post in response to?

15. TucsonDIrect

TucsonDIrect Member

first page last post
    2nd page firstfew posts

16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Um....that does not help. Some have the pages set to show more posts. Please quote or give post number.

17. TucsonDIrect

TucsonDIrect Member

Dude just read the 8 posts and it will become clear...

18. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Dude....sorry after reading agin i still do not get your !0000001 stuff. Your post is confusing me. All I asked was specifically what you were responding to. 8 posts? Does that show up as two pages for you?

Also Dude.......You might keep in mind that you already circumvented the rules and talking that way does not help. I told you that you have my attention.

Now please try again to simplify what you are saying. The open part throws me. Some of us deal with voltages and amps that actually cross open paths.

19. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

This part has me wondering what the heck your saying.......Dude.

20. davewelch2000

davewelch2000 New Member

how about scavaging an old cordless dril and useing batt and charger that way you cuold carry extra batt and switching them wold be a snap