Motored Biking Racing in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe,
I need a bit of help selecton a power package for the ....what shall we call it? the "stock class"(?)

After I finish the real racer..........I will build a "proposal" bike.
Being an electrical re-tard of sorts I need some guidence.
I intend to run a brushless motor of leagle limit (asuming we get a class)

If I run this motor at 30v & 35/40 amp's max (controlller limited) would it fall into the spirit of the event?
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor..._AerodriveXp_90_SK_Series_50-65_380Kv_/_1820w

As you know the watt rating of these are a peak ratting.

Now as for disqualifiying yourself............puhhh leeezzzz!
??? Are you that Good? (who has an EGO?) For crying out loud man Kick our arogant Butts so bad we are motivated to come back & attemp to beat the master again.

After all I have read from you about the EBRR & this power limited racing.
If you fail to show up or bring anything less than your A-game you will have way less than no respect anywhere on any forum.
You better be There (I would like to meet you anyway) & ready to race hard on the best you can build. Don't disrespect your own class with patranizing claims you ment to lose......I would expect more from an ex-gravity racer.

I am 47years old myself safe, we geezers need to represent....I have given a hundred trophys to the boyscouts...I just want a "t" shirt & the satisfaction of a 100% effort.

No its not a debate safe, it is you saying over and over again how you want it and everyone else is telling you they don't, but your to arrogant to accept this and buy the look of this thread think by posting over and over the same thing people will come around to your thinking, You said several times here you been doing this for many years, as i see it, your either a terrible promoter or nobody likes the idea, a good idea sells itself, so i guess the idea is what nobody wants.

Last edited:
While we are discussing possible scenarios for electric classes, what about a different way to make a "spec" class? It would be very easy to just put a limit on the motor size. The easiest and most predictable dimensions would be magnet and stator sizes.

For an inrunner you could define a specific stator ID, length, and OD. Outrunners would have different dimensions, but a comparable size could be found no doubt. Magnet choice and iron usage could be up to the motor builder, giving full control over the torque VS rpm characteristics of the motor. Throw as much power into this limited size motor (much like a CC restriction) until you win, lose, or break.

Hey, I got my 1hp bike ready!

l_1600_1200_564FE96E-1A41-4321-B6BE-C7AC1AE18A38.jpeg

least you have not far to fall when you come off haha It is the size of bike for the ones that would find 1hp limit fun, 6-8 year old kid.

If I run this motor at 30v & 35/40 amp's max (controlller limited) would it fall into the spirit of the event?

The formula would be:

1000 Watts / Max Battery Voltage = Permissible Controller Limit

So in your case:

1000 Watts / 30 volts = 33.3 Amps

...30 amps would be a little low. 35 amps would be high, but would pass inspection. 40 amps would be cheating.

No its not a debate safe, it is you saying over and over again how you want it.

It's not a debate because the definition of an "electric bike" in the United States is defined both by the Federal Government and the State Governments as at most 1hp. Some states permit electric bikes to be classified as mopeds (Arizona, Missouri, etc) but there are no states that specifically open the door to this... it's simply tolerated.

There is no debate that the legal definition of "electric bike" is 1hp in the US.

(even the monster ebike riders acknowledge this, but simply run illegal machines and just ignore it)

attachment.php

http://www.me.psu.edu/lamancusa/ProdDiss/Bicycle/bikecalc.htm

36 MPH TOP SPEED @ 1HP

This is with the "optimal" setup where you are getting your peak power at the "sweet spot" of your maximum aerodynamic drag point. It's up to the racers to "tune" their machines and make sure that they are hitting their top end speed.

My experiences with ebikes and 1hp is that it's not that hard to achieve this speed if you design for it. Multispeed bikes that use something like the Cyclone motor have an advantage because they can attain full power across a wider set of speeds, but on a flat racetrack a hub motor that was tuned for top end speed should be fine. There is no starting and stopping on the racetrack, so it's really favoring top end speed over hillclimbing or drag racing ability. Just tune the bike for top end and expect to pedal off the start... once up to speed you no longer need to pedal.

The first thing people need to do is get "clip on" like handlebars so that they get the front end more narrow. Getting rid of the full width upright mountain bike bars is the first upgrade you need to make. A front fairing would help too.

----------------------------

Remember that this is a go kart track and most of the time you would be turning and even at 1hp I doubt people will be able to make the turns at the full 36 mph speed. (even at 1hp you will need to let off the throttle sometimes)

Crashing at 36 mph on asphalt will still hurt... maybe not as much as 50 mph, but this sport at 1hp is still more dangerous than BMX because their top speeds are more like 30 mph. So while this sport is more "kiddie friendly" it's still enough to break bones and rip your skin off if you don't have racing leathers. People that laugh would not be laughing if they were the ones that crashed hard. (in other words it's still enough to bite you)

--------------------------

And I repeat the point about racing in two classes... for the guys that want to race against the gas powered bikes they can build a bike for that, but there's no reason they can't also race in the "stock / production / legal" class as well if they bring a second bike designed for it. There's nothing that says someone couldn't clean up in both races... though at this point beating the gas bikes might be difficult.

So the monster ebike racers might keep their options open... you are welcome.

Attachments

• 36 MPH 1HP Calculation.jpg
    36 MPH 1HP Calculation.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
I thought we were talking about electric bicycles on a race track? what does being road legal have to do with racing. If people want to ride high powered elecrric bicycles on a race track thats what they can do, legally too. Good luck with making them ride 1hp electric bicycles, seems you haven't had any success at all making this happen but have many interested in wanting to race higher powered electric bicycles, how many again have you interested in 1hp electric bicycle racing?

I got into E-bikes because I saw Method's 10,000w E-bike, and I thought, hmm... that looks like something enjoyable to ride.

I didn't get into ebikes from seeing all the regular 500-1,000w ebikes. Riding a 750w ebike at the bike shop actually had me so turned-off of ebikes, it took some dedicated convincing from Methods that it was possible to make them worth riding.

The crazy builds lure people into the hobby. Most folks just buy a generic kit and put it on a generic bike, because that's all the skills/money they have to invest, but it's the wild builds that inspire interest from people who wouldn't otherwise give ebikes a second glance.

Nobody see's a 1kw ebike video and goes OMG! That's amazing! I must email this to my whole contact list of buddies! This only happens with the wild-builds.

What better place to have these pioneering leaders of the ebike world go to play than a racetrack?

Aside from the dull-as-**** classes, hasn't racing through history always followed the theme of finding a way to cram as much power as possible into some light chassis that can barely handle it, and run it on the ragged edge so you never even know it it will last the distance of the race?

This is why I'm trying to scratch together a DIY 300amp 100v BLDC controller in a compact light package, so I can try to be the first ebike to reach 100mph, and you bet I plan on racing it in every event my budget and time allows. :)

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back