Motorized Bicycles: Author Tom Bartlett, has anyone read this book?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tanstaafl, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Tonight I purchased the Kindle digital edition for $3.50 from Amazon. It was downloaded onto my Kindle in just a couple minutes and I skimmed the foreword, appears book is about what the MB people here on are into. I will start reading when go to bed and if it pertains to today's MB and find it interesting, will give a report on it.

*My bad and mia culpa, I should have Googled "Tom Bartlett" before posting this thread. He is difinetly well into the MB scene.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Finished the book at one reading. Found MB history very interesting, with lots of detailed information from wooden frame and wheels for walking velocipedes, to the sleek goodies of today.

According to the author, the ubiquitous Chinese two strokers found today, had their ancestry going back to the 1930s-1950s mopeds in Russia and for the most part the Chinese copies of it remain basically unchanged.
  3. roughrider

roughrider Member

I read the book just about a week ago, but I ordered the paper copy because I like big pictures! Like you said, Tanstaafl, it's a quick read. There's a thread on the "other" forum written by a Russian guy who still has some of the old motors. According to him, the Russian ones are really much better made, and they do have some subtle, but significant differences.

It was interesting to discover that the first motorcycles were, in fact, motorized bicycles. I like how technology sometimes goes around in a circle—getting back to old ideas and re-doing them. Bartlett's book gave me lots of ideas.
  4. Otto

Otto New Member

I bought, and read, the book in November when I was just getting interested in motorized bicycles. I found the historical information to be very interesting reading, but was hoping the book would be more about motorized bicycles, and how to build them. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed reading it, and would buy it again.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good book on bicycle mechanics?

5. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

From your question, I'm not sure what you're explicit interest is but if you mean a reference on wrenching, fixing and maintaining bicycles, one of if not the best is Sheldon Brown (RIP). Not a book per se, but a well maintained and regularly updated web resource. For myself this is the gold standard.
  6. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

I have not read the title and likely will not. I do recall seeing it listed somewhere, probably amazon, a year or two back. Scanning the table of contents it seemed rather generic as I recall.

Seeing it mentioned here though makes me curious if the author discusses George Wyman at all, and in extension of that context, Rif Addams?
  7. roughrider

roughrider Member

No, no mention of either. The book was clearly targeted for those who had zero experience with motored bicycles. It's a thin volume. I would not recommend it to anyone who clearly had a lot of knowledge. Such a one would inevitably be disappointed... Except, the pictures are great!
  8. Otto

Otto New Member

Thanks for the link Richard. This looks like it will be a great reference for anything I want to know about working on my bikes.
  9. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

No don't care too. My book our book is better.
  10. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

What are titles of these books?
  11. roughrider

roughrider Member

I believe darwin was expressing that the accumulated wisdom on these forums was better than the data in Bartlett's book. I agree. Still, I liked the book. It got me up to speed fast and gave me a whirlwind tour of motobike history.

Also, I liked the little jewels of info, like the "Motobecane" brand actually means "motor bicycle." (French slang words.) News to me!
  12. sparky

sparky Active Member

My book is called, "The Crash Course for Motored Bike N00Bs".

You can view it for free, but if you'd like to make a $3.50 donation, then feel free to PM me and I'll give you a paypal address to make it happen. :) Or you could at least rate it 5-stars. Whichever floats your boat.

EDIT: Looks like I beat him to the punch by a couple years, at least. Man... I could be a thousandaire by now. ;)
  13. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

Note from Tom Bartlett, the author of "Motorized Bicycles"

Many thanks for the kind comments...and the valid criticisms, of my book. I really, really enjoyed writing (and doing the research and most of the photography) for the book. But most of all I guess my greatest joy was in building some of the motorized bicycles shown in the book. Through the book I had the pleasure of meeting (on the phone and on the Internet) motorbike enthusiasts from around the world, from New Zealand to England.
    One of the commenters really nailed it when he mentioned that the greatest wealth of knowledge about motorized bicycles resides in these forums. I am continually amazed at the expertise and enthusiasm shown by some of the posters. Keep up the good work.
    Tom Bartlett
  14. roughrider

roughrider Member

Well, I enjoyed your book, Tom. As one with "zero knowledge" I gained a whole lot of background understanding of the evolution on motorbicycle design. Like I said, a complete guru would be disappointed, but then, Motorized Bicycles Today would be a different book, and The Absolutely, Totally, 100%, Complete Motorized Bicycle Handbook would be impossible.

15. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

Tom, is it ok to talk to you on Fa(r)cebook?
  16. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

Ludwig II, I sent you a PM.