Motorized Recumbent

How are you getting the sproket to run off the left side? I was going to run it off the right side because there are more places to mount the sprocket to, but your set up is exactly what I need to attach a larger sproket. Could you provide some pictures or a source of supply for what ever adapter you used. I really like how it sits and will allow my engine to be much more centered. Your trike is making me drule, it's going to snow here soon and I won't get much chance to ride mine, so I'll be taking my time. The good news is I get the right ideas if I wait long enough. Everyone on here is really my lifesaver! Thanks to those who take the time to post!

Bret

Last edited:
hi cgbjake,

ok i have some bad news for you this setup is a friction drive, no sprokets involved, the chain on the left hand side is the normal trike rear wheel sproket. Statons kit has the drive on the left hand side using a chain drive. Are you trying to motorize one of these trikes, check the links a couple of posts ago to see your options, as each of the sun trikes is slightly different at the rear end.

Basically my honda has a drive shaft to which i simply swap out the roller i need . Straight forward and now i have it dialed in,its a simple system thats why i choose to go friction drive, the chain drive with the cambered wheels = pain in butt...

You can see from this build goblin had a custom shaft made for his left hand drive chain drive

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16012

I hope i answered your question but feel free to ask more and i will post so pics of the mounting and drive if you need them.

YOPPS sorry jake i just realised one of the links was back to your thread,

Last edited:
Wife's Trike

Is a most excellent machine. Most excellent!

Overcoming your problems with the electric drive and your persistence are rewarding to see and inspirational.

I would love to have on one of your trikes in my town, but the farmers from Iowa and Wisconsin would crush me.

Most excellent, indeed!

Well for anyone customizing their sun recumbent, trike, this was a cool site i stumbled across and had hidden in my never ending fav. links...

http://www.electric-bikes.com/betterbikes/customization.html

I love the shelf for storage space $50.... about $5 for parts me thinks!!!!

Ok now i am less stressed out finding all my old links, heres a good one from the third wheel (staton kits) has video footage of the trikes powered up look under audio and video tours.

http://www.motorizedbicycles.biz/audio.php?osCsid=oak0rgipnm6c792htohcqei1p2

Yeap i clocked tons of hours on the web looking for this stuff before i tricked my trike out,so at least the next guy won't have too, hope it helps.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter how much time you spend, I think we all spend way too much time :) ...My wife just asked if she walked through naked would I pay more attention...if she was on my bike I'd consider!

re: recumbent trikes

For those of you wishing to build your own frames I would highly recommend atomiczombie site. He has many downloadable plans that even I could afford and make. No pictures yet as I'm on my 3rd frame and experimenting with the tadpole design I want as my own. His plans are VERY detailed and at $15.00 downloaded by far the best I've found in about 10 years of reasearch. Though I have the frames built, I'm set back because I only have one set of 20" 14mm wheels and waiting to get enough cash to get some drum brakes built up for the front. His step by step procedures are remarkable and his insight into explaining all the details is quite elaborate with photos galore. He also has other frame plans to download, both recumbent trikes (delta & tadpole) along with some chopper plans. No relation, usual disclaimers, YMMV, etc.
Neal
jnp2whls

Back