Motorized Recumbent

Powered Recumbent

Paddy, can see why you might change power source. I left comment on electric version here - http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9468

Rans looks to be fun. Rans' long proven speedy machine.

Thanks for pics. Friction seems only way to go to accommodate smaller wheels, unless a special drive ring was employed and maybe a different belt or custom height rack.

The Rocket also looks to be quite the motored speedster.

Bet Randy Schlitter (Rans) would be quite interested. The Rans people are very innovative. Interesting history, and from Kansas no less.

How is machine in traffic and on hills, without power?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the kind words this was my first venture into the world of motorized bikes,

the bike does well for the most part but when i added the electrics i lost my 3 sprockets up front,(all my low gears for climbing) it is a heavy beast to ride, if i just rode this around all day i would have calf muscles like an NFL running back. lots of fun but when fully loaded with the two kids and driver it doesnt take long to suck the juice from the batteries, thats why the friction is going on their.

It is extremely quiet with the electric motor and because i can still use the rear cluster i can get up some good speed.

Vegas is a pretty unique town every idiot driver from throughout the country must move here, its pretty insane really but you get used to it and you have to expect the most stupid move from everyone around you.

I have plenty of flags flying when in traffic, and because of the upright position its hard not to miss me, besides the whole thing is probably over 10 feet long. I stick to the quieter roads mostly with the bike lanes, but when i cross an intersection i can pull out into a lane and the electrics give me enough juice to get threw quickly with out upsetting the cagers.

I have to call DE in the morning to make sure they make the throttle cable long enough but hopefully its going to be shipped by next weekend.

WATCH THIS SPACE !!!!!

Last edited:
as far as drive systems i could have went for a chain drive feeding of the rear axle wheels, staton has one just for the trikes, but i wanted an easy setup so that it why i chose to go with a DE kit.

Maybe next year i can get around to buiding something with the trike conversion kit i have lying on a shelve i think i will go for a chain drive for that build.

I just got back from a long ride on the Rans. Between the Rans Rocket with Staton/Honda drive, and my upright bike with HT 2 stroker:
1. The Staton/Honda is quieter, smoother, easier to use, and I find myself pedaling along with the motor to help most of the time. It's WAY easier to pedal with the Rans than the HT/upright bike. The Rans seat is WAY more comfy, I would never ride the upright more than 15-20 min, but the rans I just rode for an hour, no problem.

2. The HT/ten speed is a little more fun, it rides like a motorcycle, is loud :), and has more power. Goes a little faster, too. The bad is you have the clutch lever, brake lever, throttle, everything to think about when you are riding. The Stator drive with centrifugal clutch makes it a no-brainer, you let go the throttle and use the brakes.

3. So far, the HT vibrates the heck out of my wrists and hands...when I go to another bike I will try to isolate the motor a little better with rubber mounts...

Last edited:
ok moderators wheres our recumbent section,

their are builds going on, bikes completed already, but they are spread all over the place,
you search and they pop up everywhere...i even had my trike moved from the electric section to the picture section, whats up with THAT !!!!!

Well my DE kit arrived yesterday (impressive setup) and i have had a couple of hours to mess around with it, to see how to attach it to the trike.

Although my trike was the upgraded version of the sun ez SX, it is turning out to be a bit of a pain in the rear, because of the cambered wheels at the rear (45') its making fitting a pain in the butt.The guys at DE had never fitted out a AX before so they sent me the mountings that would be used on the SX model, so i have some major beefing up to do, the biggest problem i have is the inside support leg does not clear my disk brakes, so i will have to retofit a threaded bolt to clear the brakes.

MY gebe is still not finished, redesigning a rear mount for the lights, my staton friction is lying on the floor waiting to be installed on a bike i picked up at wally world last week, and now i have DE kit to work on !!!!!

AHHHHHHHH....

is too many projects a good thing?

will post some pics of the DE kit tomorrow if i get a spare minute.

Back