My custom fuel tank - and springer fork

After a couple weeks of testing different materials, adhesives and coatings, I finally finished my custom gas tank. Capacity is one quart. The first pic is with the water bottle attached, the second it's removed and the third pic is a close-up the decal I designed. (Bonus points for anyone who understands the reference.)

The springer fork is from a 24" bike, so I had to extend it two inches to fit mine. I scavenge most of my bike parts from the landfill where I work, so I have to make due with what I find and figure out a way to make stuff fit. It really smooths out the ride, especially the initial "shudder" upon acceleration.

Total cost so far for my new hobby: under $200. Gotta love it!

GaltCycle.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have to guess Atlas gear Company as the refference and those look like they are made of PVC??? Are they? Nice job!

I've seen the insignia before and will feel like an idiot when you say it if I'm not right! That is most certainly derived from Atlas Gear Company. Galt is also a name associated with alternative energy. Maybe with some sort of political current refference to the O'bama administration.

If I'm correct please PM me and let me know how close I am, I promise to let the rest suffer in ingnorance for a show of your pitty, Oh Great One! LOL!

Last edited:
I used 2" PVC with end end caps. The fill cap is a 3/4" elbow that I glued and JB Welded through one of the end caps. The mounting brackets are made from 2" exhaust pipe, cut, bent and welded to accommodate the tanks. Brass fittings sealed with JB Weld on the bottom. The non-fill tank on the left is vented on top with a vent hose attached to the bottle cage. (Barely visible in image 2).

I've never heard of Atlas gear company. I originally wanted the design to be "Atlas Cycle Company" but after a quick Google search, the name was already taken - so I went with the name of my favorite fictional character (HINT!), who is closely related to "Atlas".

ingenious. well mort at least you tried to start another anti obama political rant. keep at it you schmuck. that word does not mean i am a jew, which could have set you off again.

Stude,

I'm not anti Jew, Infact far from it!!!

I'm not anti O'bama, he's our President and I swear I'd lay my life down if I had too. I don't like what he's doing or the agenda he's carrying. Republicans ain't much better... This Country won't be free until there's a third party giving competition!

Wow. Did my tank decal turn this into a political debate? :D Here's the background on the mystery. I'll try to keep it short:

It's inspired by the classic novel, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Basically, it's a morality tale about the responsible, productive, industrious people in society being overtaken by the irresponsible, wasteful and lazy people. These people are refered to as the "looters" in the book. The looters elect politicians who use the power of government to take what they want from the productive people and give to the lazy. (This is not a "Robin Hood" scenario. He stole from the KINGS and gave to the poor.)

John Galt was a mysterious character who started a hidden city in the mountains for the producers to live and enjoy the fruits of their own labor without having it taken from them and given to the undeserving. He was also a genius who invented a "perpetual energy machine". John Galt is a symbol of independence and ingenuity.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Christian charity, but in no way, shape or form should the government be involved in welfare programs. That's the churches' job and over the years, they have abdicated that responsibility to an inefficient, corrupt government. Whether we like to admit it or not, that's 99% of the reason this country is in a mess.

As long as we keep thinking there's a difference between the two major parties, nothing will ever get any better. They are both working together to squeeze the middle class out of existence.

Back