My Wyman obsession

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by antique-rider, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Well not only is Rif obsessed with George Wymans story, I am too. I knew I'd never (well...probably never) ride from coast to coast to replicate his adventure, so instead I built a replica of his California Motorbicycle as it looked in May 1903. I really went over board with this project, the only way I'd be happy with it was to look very authentic. So I built a replica engine. I haven't run it yet, but I still take to shows to spread the Wyman story. In fact a lot of the parts on this bike are turn of the century, the frame, seat, handlebars, goose neck, cork grips, etc. This is it at a local vintage motorcycle show.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

antique-rider;
    Stunning creation... Care to share more details on how you created the replica engine?
    Tom

3. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Me too! How bout some close-ups of the engine.

Looks good! *drewl*

4. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Yeah baby!!! that's too nice...

5. drimpact

drimpact Member

You have my attention also ...

It still ammazes me how much our bikes are so similar to the first motorcycles

6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I hope I'm not steppin' on your toes 'rider, but here's a teaser...

Attached Files:

7. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

That is exactly why I like 'em! I know I'll never have the *spare* 50-100 thousand dollars to spend finding, buying, and restoring an original; so I build these up and it's as close as I can get, it's affordable, and it's as much fun (to me anyway) as anything! I'm good with that...
    :rolleyes:

8. Like I said, I really went overboard with this one.... First I had to design the engine only going on photos and general dimentions I scaled from those photos. I started with the crankcase and built a wood pattern to make an aluminum casting from. I had made a number of castings for other projects, so I was no stranger to pattern making and machining. I planned it around a 6hp rototiller crankshaft (highly modified) I had. then I came up with a 1920's Briggs engine, the cylinder was almost exactly the right size and fin count. I cut it off of the case and welded a flange to the bottom, also used the piston and rod from that engine. The head was another casting to match the cylinder. anyway..... more to come if you want.

Attached Files:

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

bring it on.....:D

10. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Awww...casting sprues.

That is like looking at a new-born part. Sweet!
    Yes, more please.

As childern my brother and I built a Bessemer furnace out of fire brick, used the vacuum w/the hose reversed for air, burned all dad's charcoal, melted about 2# of aluminum and cast nothing. :D

11. Ok, Here's a few more pics. But I guess I didn't take many more photos of the sheet metal work or assembly of the bike.

12. AW FOR @#$&?!$##@ sakes nome of the pics showed up.

13. Did they show up this time??

Attached Files:

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice lookin' pieces !!!
    you're attention to detail is admirable !!!
    :cool::cool::cool:

15. Thanks for posting the pics, It helps inspire me to get out there and get some work done.

16. Thanks guys for the nice comments!!:grin: it inspires me to get the dern thing done. just gotta finish the belt drive,(no engine pulley or belt yet) get the ignition working (no coil yet).... and thats about it.
    ....Bob

17. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

If'n y'all need any help (actually, I just wanna watch and learn) Let me know!:cool:

18. Thanks Rif, actually it won't be very soon, I'm rebuilding a 1908 Indian engine for a friend of mine. I should post pics as I go.
    ....Bob

19. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Nice!!!
    Well I'm back in the machinist industry; just to let ya' know... i'm beat today.
    Gettin' ready to dig into the Whizzer.
    Not on topic, so here's the thread back...

20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Do you make your own castings antique-rider?

I see you're making wooden patterns; - are you moulding these in sand yourself and pouring metal obtained from melting down scrap?