Need a kit - best rack mount for $450?

Nuttsy,

Thank you for posting photos of your rig. Really like the aftermarket handlebars. They must be way more confortable than leaning over the stock ones. Also appreciate the photo of the twist throttle from Staton. They did not have a pic posted to their site.

After all the research, the Staton friction drive Robin four stroke with twist throttle for $450.59 delivered must be the best rack-mounted system out there for the money.

Best regards, Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robin-EH035-Fou...Z2904QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Not sure if you ordered yet but I just bagged me one of these. Free shipping to the states. I reckon he must get a volume discount if he moves enough units so he cut these loose pretty cheap. Excellent response time on emails and such. Got in touch with me right away so we could work out the shipping options because of where I live. I grabbed this because no way was I gonna get my hands on anything else until winter is almost here. I figured at least I would have something to fiddle with this winter while I wait for next summer.

On edit: I spoke to duane at dax about the titan and he told me 4 weeks minimum. Unless Im mistaken the ebay friction drives are available immediately. I had to slow boat mine due to excessive shipping costs so I reckon Ill know in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Nice deal! Shipping was something like $40 thru the website. That's like a free twist grip throttle, frame cage, and stainless fuel bottle! (or gasoline fill-ups for four years...)

OK, would anyone else have a problem with this? A dealer that sells for one price on their website and another price on E-Bay?. Personally, I think it sux rox. That's like buying a widget at say, Home Depot for $50.00 and finding the same widget at the Home Depot across town for $20.00. WTF! Who would stand for that kind of treatment? Oh, and free shipping? I think I just bought my 1st and last Staton-Inc. anything.

I think your overreacting. You ever go to a store and something was on sale but you had to have the coupon out of the paper? You cant get the widget unless you go home and get the coupons out of the sunday paper. I dont think its uncommon industry practice at all.
I saw the deal on ebay and immediately assumed it was sort of a loss leader to either generate more interest in the product. Or to bump up their sales to put them in a different bracket on their engine orders so they get bigger discounts. Either which way it likely doesnt take any business away from the website because the people shopping ebay probably arent the same shopping their site. Not to mention you notice its only friction drives. Im grateful they had some on ebay.

If coupons or promo codes or whatever were the issue here, that would be one thing. There are none mentioned in either Staton case. This is just bad business practice.
And if it is just to "bump up sales", so what? Why put that on the backs of previous customers?
Don't get me wrong. I love a good deal and am happy you got in on one. But the way they're doing this is just wrong. A note about "special pricing" or "this week only" or "mention XXX code" or some such would be quite an acceptable practice. In which case, oh well, I guess I missed out on that one. But again, that's not what happened here. I can't wait to see them NOT answer my email.
BTW, what do you mean "only friction drives"?? Are they a bad thing? Somehow inferior? $450.00 is NOT an "only" figure to me.

Well I dont see any belt or chain drives up on ebay.
what does that prove?

Did you look at completed auctions? There are chain drives listed

Staton sells chain drives on eBay, there a couple of them up now
and they have tried to sell all of their kits there

Its costs Staton $16.29 ebay fees to sell a $389 subaru friction kit
on ebay and that doesn't include the PayPal fees
Staton only gets $361 from the sale minus their shipping costs that
are probably around $12 - $14

I see em up now. There wasnt any a day or so ago. I was thinking like flagships. Meaning you are hard pressed to get any factory breaks on a dodge cummins but the 1500 you can get 8000 dollars off. The reason is people dont need incentives to buy a cummins so they very rarely ever offer them.

Most people dont know this but when you go to the auto parts store there are many different prices and discounts on everything in the store. I get jobber price at 2 of 3 of the local auto parts and im just a joe blow who knows how to b.s. with the parts guys. Meaning I get 30-50% off of everything and anyone else walking in off the street pays full price. As long as they remain ignorant to the fact Im sure there is no problem. If they ever found out I reckon they might be upset.

Im telling you they are probably selling these at cost so they can get some sort of bulk discount on engines or parts. If Im right and everyone makes a big stink about it they will stop and prices go up on their website then everyone is gonna be screwed.

BTW, what do you mean "only friction drives"?? Are they a bad thing? Somehow inferior? $450.00 is NOT an "only" figure to me.
Friction is the least expensive and doesnt look like a good solution to me. I bought it because it was all that is available and I got winter breathing down my neck. The fact that it doesnt work wet would be the reason why there are other systems to deal with this flaw. Maybe I wouldnt call it inferior but I would definitely call it flawed. The drive wheels wear out, it prematurely wears out the tire. Damage can occur if your tire is wet and you spin the roller.

Last edited:
Back