New guy with issue

Scott Bennett

Local time
8:48 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the forum however not to building motorized/ non motorized bicycles.
I have found that for the most part vendors dealing with motorized bicycles are not all that supportive for military members deployed. I have yet to understand it. The USA goes through great lengths to provide us with US addresses and ensures that our mail is handled by US personnel if not the military but hired contractors in order to keep things out of the hands of host country nationals. I speak for many many people in just my area when I say I'm tired of getting emails after the company takes our order and money saying they dont ship to APO/FPO. The only people at these sites are US personnel and service members. That makes an obvious point I'd say. This leaves very few other options for us, thats to send our money to places like China, UK, Germany, and even Estonia. Case in point, I built a boarder line show bike that I use daily for exercise. The goal was to obtain one part from a different country around the world. After it was all said and done I had zero issues from all countries but USA. I could not get anything but the seatpost clamp from the USA and this took me two different vendors from Ebay after the first one sent the no shipping to APO/FPO email. For a seat post clamp, and I was paying $23.00 and $8.00 shipping at that. Anyways I'd like to post the vendor for the latest straw that broke the camels back. As you all may know the list of vendors are all linked up with a common location and phone number.
Kingsmotorbikes
Gasbikes
rawmotors
Please let me know where I can find vendors that will support APO/FPO. We have a small group of interested folks at my location that would love to get into this however they do not want to waste the large portion of the deployment sourcing parts.

Hi Scott, I can not help you with your question, I am sure someone will. I just wanted to thank you for your service to a country that is on a down hill slide to destruction anyway.

We would like to see a picture of you and your around the world bike. Sure sounds neat! We are all bicyclest at hart here.
Thanks again. Keep safe!
Keep looking up! Ken.

Here are some pics of the bike. Keep in mind this was built with a basic set of tools. It's very hard to construct anything here in Djibouti Africa as there is virtually nothing available on the local market.
Ruff Hard Time 1.jpg
20160215_095859.jpg

Like all I can say is WOW !! :p
That is one beautiful bike. With just hand tools!:eek:
I can not wait to see what you do when you come home.:)
Keep safe, Keep your head down. Straiten up and fly right.
Keep looking up! Ken.

That thing is gorgeous! - You obviously don't need power tools.
With regard to your shipping issues, I can vaguely relate, living here in Canada. - When I need items shipped from the US, it usually doubles the cost of the item , and delivery is extremely slow. Conversely, when order direct from China, or Japan, the item arrives quickly (sometimes a week or less), and quite often with free shipping, even on inexpensive items. - - Strange?
I believe that part of the issue is that many of the US based vendors are simply web sites with no inventory, who simply order merchandise from China- Japan etc. when they themselves receive an order - thus the long delays and high shipping costs.
I'm not judging, just commenting.

Thanks guys for your comments.
When building this I wanted to make a build record and even a video. Up until I had to pull out the hack saw to cut with and 2x4s to beat on. For a while my hammer was a couple pipes welded together until the SeaBees gave me one.
The video was going to go to my son with a gift certificate so I can see what he accomplished when I get home. Instead he has youtube and access to all my tools in the garage.
BTW the head light and tail light on my bike are 105 years old. I had to order calcium carbide from Germany and ship hazmat. It took 3 lamps to make a good working set. I actually use them every night. The rear light has been converted to olive oil because lamp oil is hard to get here.

Back