New owner here

I dont think he meant to put you down, just use some "tough love" to get you to make some changes for your own safety and the reputation of all MBers

Jaguar those of us who've been here awhile rude comments bounce us like throwing a ping pong ball at a tank. However new members may not know exactly how to respond to it. So from now on I'm going to make a conscious effort to not be insulting. I may disagree but I don't have to put a person down. Yes we older members may take jabs at each other but we know the difference between a joke and an insult. What I've been taught is if a comment is directed at someone character and they laugh its a joke. However if the comment makes that person angry then its an insult. Only by knowing the person will you know where the line between a joke and an insult is.

i bite my lip so often theres nothing left to bite :)

erm, im inclined to agree with that offensive post, but ill be nicer :)

the front brake is THE MOST IMPORTANT. FIX IT! NOW!

the frame only accomodates caliper brakes. doh!

fleabay, look for tektro or similar...get some semi decent calipers. (the levers look fine? but a dual pull is a nice idea) usually around the $50 for a full set. theres not many good caliper brakes.

while chrome steel rims are notorious for slipping, if one simply sets brakes up properly, with enough slack in the cable so you can apply some pressure (the dual lowers the pressure you can apply, why i personally prefer separate levers) while not being so loose you can get the lever to the bar.

get the right shoes. some are for alloy, some for steel.

theres also a little trick called "toe in".

leading edge of the shoe should hit rim about 2-3mm before the rear. bend the lugs the shoes bolt to, carefully. make sure the shoes approach the rim squarely on the other axis. ie, not gouging into the side wall, especially when the brakes are applied, for as well as twisting, the arms tend to move forward, ramming the leading edge of shoe into tyre sidewall... thats dangerous!

the toe in counters the effect that the shoes, when applied, will twist...and if square at first, they only touch on the rear edge...less area, less friction, less stop. so pre twist them! or use the funky washers as supplied on most modern pads ;)

scuff the rims with some steel wool/fine wet and dry sandpaper,etc...

read thoroughly. i normally dont link to other sites :)

http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-brakes.html

Thanks, guys. As I stated, the reason I removed the front caliper in the first place, temporarily, was so the cable didn't get wrapped up in the wheel. I should be getting my lever tomorrow. It DOES have a rear brake. I would have to be a total idiot to ride with no brakes at all. And lights are on order as well. And, Jaguar, I don't think calling someone's bike a POS is tough love. Better ways of doing it than that. And I doubt I'm the first one here that's bought a bike from a yard sale.

to original poster, please accept my public apology. I deleted the post's that I made that made you angry.
Your choice for motorbiking a huffy is really your own business and I just added my own opinion about that brand of bike because I broke so many of them when I was a kid I just can not imagine anyone putting a motor on one.
There has been a lot of news with fatalities on motorbikes lately and all the news sites that show a picture of the aftermath wreck is a poor quality bike with a motor on it with old style brakes or only one rear brake.
Alot of countries have banned these things for this reason.

to original poster, please accept my public apology. I deleted the post's that I made that made you angry.
Your choice for motorbiking a huffy is really your own business and I just added my own opinion about that brand of bike because I broke so many of them when I was a kid I just can not imagine anyone putting a motor on one.
There has been a lot of news with fatalities on motorbikes lately and all the news sites that show a picture of the aftermath wreck is a poor quality bike with a motor on it with old style brakes or only one rear brake.
Alot of countries have banned these things for this reason.

Apology accepted. I've had this bike for 10 years and rode the crap out of it. It's always been faithful to me. The brake lever is the only thing that's broke on it. I don't plan on riding it WOT. Just a leisurely putt around the neighborhood. But I will have new brakes on it before it goes out for any long ride. And I have plenty of time for that as it is turning cold. So, bottom line, let's put this crap behind us and move forward from here.

Back