Jackshaft new sponsor's jackshaft kit

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by eltatertoto, Jul 22, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

anyone had experience? cause i got a hole burning in my pocket with mowing money and im real tempted to get this. it looks too good to be true!!

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

That looks like Ghost0's setup.
  3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i think im gonna get it it looks too cool.
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

I don't know if it's worth a darn or not but it sure looks good. That coupled with a good HT engine could give whole meaning to MB's.
  5. bmoody

bmoody Member

Mine is shipping today. I'll let you guys know.

I mean you have to think, being able to shift and keep your motor at a low rpm is worth its weight is gold. Not only are you conserving even more fuel but your also saving wear and tear on your engine by keeping the rpm's low.
  6. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yea. i am gonna get it. i measured though, and all my bike tires are too close to the seat tube, so ill need to get a new bike. i think ill also get a new engine, and work it off. i get paied 20 dollars to do a trailer yard, so i do 3 houses 2 times a week so im making decent money...
  7. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

yeah that's Ghost0's (Jim) and Pablo's (Paul) company. We had a brain storming session for a name. We settled on Sick Bike Parts, and then we became a limited liability co, Sick Bike Parts LLC.

I shipped a bunch on Monday, yesterday and today. Those folks should start getting their kits very soon. Plus several people were at the open house on Saturday and took some home. One guy at my regular job bought two and his son installed both. The good news is they love them, the bad news is the guy didn't RTFM. He's 14 years old and worked until 4AM in the driveway installing them and left fasteners off, ground off stuff he didn't need too, didn't use loctite, etc, lost some parts, found the parts and reinstalled them - point being - they are functioning well despite a clearly unqualified installer.

I look forward to the first independent reviews!!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. skipu

skipu Member

i cant wait to see them in action also !!! and do you sell just the crank freewheel set up or will the free wheel work on my crank !!! i would be siked if it would because i had a very similiar idea using all gear drive motor to jack shaft / elastomer to primary sprocket or even a geared sprocket it would be a 1 off thing but im a machinist thats why i dream of these silly things but let me know about the crank and free wheel set up your looks awsome
  9. Pablo

Currently we don't sell just the front freewheel. You need an extended crank so it would not work, plus it needs to be threaded on the crank arm.
  10. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

pablo, i send my eternal grattitude for helping to invent this. my only wish is that the clutch plate be made availible, with the chain guard and pre ground out, and the shaft also pre ground out, cause i dont have a grinder and i dont have files. but overall i love this kit to death, and believe me im gonna get the bike with the most gears, for a wider range of gears. i will probablly be ordering at 12:00-2:00 central tommrow, do you have an idea of when it might ship out? thanks alot dude.
  11. Pablo

Interesting idea!

I ship ASAP when the money hits. If I get paypal tomorrow PM, it will ship the next day.
  12. skipu

skipu Member

thanx man it would have been too good to be true so i guess ill be ordering this kit from you next week i hope they will still be available thanx for the help
  13. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

You do not need a grinder or a file. The file is nice to have to put the extra flats on the shaft but is recommended, not required. It is mostly so when you tighten the set screw it doesn't bugger up the shaft making the sprockets hard to remove or adjust. The clutch plate can be easily trimmed with a box knife or tin snips. The kit really is pretty easy to assemble.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  14. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

Congratulations Pablo and Ghost0, you have done a fantastic job of getting this brilliant jackshaft into production!! I can still remember the thread where you were thinking about it. I'm not promising anything yet but, I really want one!! Would you ship to the UK? Building my second bike soon and this would be the ultimate addition to any build. The website looks very clean and professional. The downloads section is very good too!

Well done guys.

15. sparky

sparky Active Member

Yup... this is the only thing more interesting than the NuVinci, IMO. To see this come to life is amazing.
  16. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Really a budget Nivinci, but that makes it all the more interesting. Nuvinci isn't within reach for most of us yet. We have thousands of MB'ers stuck in 1 gear for years now.

This raises the bar and Pablo and Ghost kicked butt and took initails on this project. I know because I'm a fabricator and I'm working behind the scenes on some really radical stuff too. I'm working late into the night every night on MB stuff to be released. I have yet to release anything because as Ghost says

I have more than one brilliant MB projects sitting in my living room its only a matter of time and money for me, but when I get burned out and think it will never get done I see stuff like this and say yea! It can be done.

Gearheads like Dax, Pablo and Ghost are my mentors from a distance.
  17. so i take it you cant use just a stock crank on the bike for this
  18. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Do not know what you mean by stock crank. The kit comes with a new aluminum crank and front freewheel assembly. If you have the old standard 3 piece assembly it will bolt right in, if you have the new cartridge style there are conversion kits for that and even if you have an older 1 piece assembly there are conversion kits for that too. Conversion kits go for between $10 and $17 USD.
  19. I've been doing nothing but thinking about this kit lately. At my bike shop where I bought a tire and a safety flag,I was checking out cruisers. They have this one with a three speed hub but no controls on the handlebars. So I'm scratching my head and there's this little box under the frame. The dude there tells me this is an auto shift three speed with coaster.
    I asked if I can test ride it and in return allowed the employee dude to ride Cronus and it shifts like it's not even shifting. Your pedaling along and your bike just goes faster and your not pedaling any faster.
    Man I'm thinking this would make such a cool candidate for that shifter kit.
    Imagine your China engine keeping a low RPM while your bike simply goes faster. Then when you stop it goes back to 1st gear.
    And nothing to shift.
    I can keep the coaster,install a front brake and the handlebar would only have the clutch cable and the front brake cable.
    Man. I need to cut some lawns!
    (edit) Wait. You can't use the coaster with this kit. That's cool. I'll freewheel it and get a rear brake. I'm sure this won't affect the gearing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  20. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

LFL, pluses and minuses. On the plus side, if the bike shifts automaticaly, I would think it could be argued that it is legal as a motor assisted bike because the rider has no shift control for the assist drive. On the minus side - Would the hub be strong enough to handle the power from the motor?