New Vintage Style Walmart Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by twitch0601, Jan 13, 2015.

1. twitch0601

twitch0601 New Member

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

It is cool. Good to see strut rods on the fork too.

3. butre

butre Well-Known Member

that link takes me to a lawn sweeper at home depot

4. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

It shows me a Gucci wallet.
    Just find it on the Wallmart site and post the link, that farfetch.com thing is a joke.

5. twitch0601

twitch0601 New Member

It won't put the right link....

Go to Walmart. Com and search Colombia 1937 men's cruiser.

6. KCvale

Got it

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Columbia-1937-3-Star-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/39801995

[​IMG]

That actually does look like it could easily be made a 1/2 gallon tank.
    The split top tube leaves a spot to drill and weld a filler tube and being flat, you could tap a hole for petcock in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Columbia isn't know for quality which is why they can sell that bike for $150 so budget in a rebuild of the rear coaster brake hub.
    Other than that someone should be able to make that a tank the way it sits.

7. jamesburr36

jamesburr36 Member

ROTFLMAO!!! I got the wallet too.

8. KCvale

hehehe! Too Funny!

9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

That Columbia could definitely be used for making an authentic looking, non-motorized klunker.
    Klunkers were cruisers converted to off road bikes before mountain bikes were available.
    [​IMG]

10. twitch0601

twitch0601 New Member

Everything I go to put the website it replaces it with a link to that wallet. I don't get it... LOL...

11. KCvale

Here is the actual Wallmart address.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Columbia-1937-3-Star-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/39801995

We have an intentional lul in business for the next 2 weeks, non-bike things need doing and it's end of season football!

I haven't done a 'board tracker' look bike yet so what the heck, I have one last HS 142 49cc 4-stroke with 7G and that bike is begging for a 3-speed 4-stroke shifter upgrade.

The new 3-speed wheelset and SBP jackshaft base and BB pretty much alleviate my concerns about the bike itself and that should be far easier to make the tank real.

Guess we'll see after Super Bowl ;-}

12. KCvale

Got the 1937 Columbia in today.

I just got it out of the box to check out the 'tank'.

[​IMG]

It looks spiffy enough until you dig into it.

It is just to 2 formed sheet metal plates that fit together via one metal screw at the top between the spit top bar, and 2 screws in from each side to a bracket screwed in to the frame via big cutouts on both halves in the tin for the brackets to be on the inside, kind of like a chain guard mount.

[​IMG]

There isn't a way to seal that up and make it a gas tank, but it is within a mm or two of allowing it to be packed with 18650 LI cells to make an electric.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to **** with electric on this build, I have a couple of high end electric's I need to move, but I now have the perfect template to get a gas tank made that will fit right in there I think and just put a direct drive 4-stroke on it.

I'll let you know how it turns out when I get to it.

13. twitch0601

twitch0601 New Member

Sweet. Using the fake tank to make a pattern for a real tank is exactly what I was thinking for that bike. I can't wait to see it done. I Hope you keep the same color scheme.

14. PocketBiker

PocketBiker Member

When I first saw the bike, I thought the Columbia Built area was just one sheet of metal, painted on both sides, but now that I see that it‘s three dimensional, you could bend those two metal straps down horizontally and screw them up into a wooden box that you’d build the existing sides around. Then, find a plastic container to put on the inside You’d be building the mock tank around a wooden box with a ½ gallon plastic container inside. Easy and inexpensive. I might then build a mock gas cap that pulls out that unscrews the real plastic gas container underneath it. ???

That is really cool! It would turn heads…..The question is, is the bike any good?

I’ll be engineering that in my head all weekend…….

15. PocketBiker

PocketBiker Member

Internal gas tank .....

This $15 tank is the right idea, but is only 1 Quart. A 1/2 gal. tank should be available.

honda-trike_tank.jpg

16. PocketBiker

PocketBiker Member

Moped gas tank

This used moped gas tank is getting closer........

Moped Tank.png

17. PocketBiker

PocketBiker Member

Actually, I would fabricate a my own internal tank using the technique demonstrated by this video tutorial. I built and flew my own airplane years ago, built with this foam and fiberglass technique.... it's brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--uLkHGKsgg

18. Wolfshoes

Wolfshoes Member

Nice choice! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. If I had to pick my poison of how to make a tank; it would probably be out of sheet brass. Years ago tanks were made out of brass and solder or am I wrong. Menards or a hardware store may have some. Perhaps a local radiator shop would have a suggestion of what to use as a fill cap assembly. Brass may be a faster build than fiberglass and leave more time for the xbox.

19. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitch you have a redirect virus on your computer. Pocket Staton sells a 64oz fuel tank if you need one.

20. PocketBiker

PocketBiker Member