Newbee & trikes

Staton is known for the quality of their products. I, and a few others, have had communication issues with them. But, they do have high quality products.

hi merv,

yeap engine best solution for you, with the staton kits fumes wouldnt be the problem, just the noise coming from the engine.

the sun trikes are decent quality, i hammmer our ax model pretty well and it stands up to most of the punishment considering fully loaded with kids it most be close to 300 lbs.

If you get a chance take one out for a test ride (try and find a local bike shop that sells them) before you commit, the deta style is not to everyones liking and steering can be hairy if you are going into a corner too fast....

the tadpole trikes can also be motorised but they are also lower to the ground, riding the sun trike is like sitting in a comfy chair and exercising you legs, fun to ride.

Thanks - I talked to David Staton this morning & he is thinking the GC EZ-3 SX might be the best for what I want initially. It has the GXH 50 cc Honda 4 stroke, but I wasn't clear of why the Mitsu wouldn't work. I may have to make the 5 hour drive to OK City to see ........ but then again ......... gas is at 3.40 now & counting. One of my first jobs as a kid was pumping gas for $0.23 a gallon. But then again, wages were quite low as well. One of my main objectives was a way to get to the airport so I can spend $4.50 a gallon ($27 an hour) to fly my new creation. May have to just sell it & hybernate. Check it out: http://daisymae-biplane.com/

EZ-3 Trike project

Thanks to all of your input ........... Ok ....... I went nutz & ordered the EZ-3 trike from Staton with that expensive windscreen, and a 50 cc Honda 4 cycle engine that he will set up for 20 mph so I can hopefully climb hills.

Will soon add:
Lights - (2) Lightman Xenon Strobes on each side of the rear of seat bracket.
(2) front Eagle Eye driving/fog lights
(1) 7 A sealed lead acid battery (on board)
(1) Ooooogah horn (was going to put it in my biplane but will put it on the bike instead.)
(2) Mirrycle plug in handle bar mirrors
(2) Safety Flags that say "Thank you for not driving your SUV"
May add a tub & shower later.

If I enclose it, does it need a windshield wiper?
So before I go crazy this winter. Do the attached drawings seem like a viable Velomobile project or not? Still working on an idea for the frame, but will probably use aluminum tubing for the vertical & possibly flat aluminum for the outer shell which would be made of 2 or 3 layers of 8-10 oz. fiberglass/epoxy. I think it can be made under 14 lbs but may be 10 lbs. off. It would have a 24" piano hinge on the right side, from the rear axle forward so that the upper shell can be rotated for entry & exit. The area behind the seat would be for groceries, tools, etc. Thin Lexan for the windshields but may use Vivak instead if it can withstand the sun.

Feel free to make change or abandon comments but really would like some knowledgable input on everything as I am totally new to this stuff.

In case you can't see the dimensions, it would be 93 1/2" long x 27" wide x 60" tall. Wheelbase is 56 1/2", 16" front tire, 20" rear. The dark line on the side view would be the clam shell opening point. My 3 dimensional drawing sucks but you get the idea.

Sure glad I found this forum so I can drive everyone bananas ......... Marv

Attachments

• EZ3SideView.jpg
    EZ3SideView.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 161
  • My Velomobile3.jpg
    My Velomobile3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 138
  • My Velomobile.jpg
    My Velomobile.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 128
It looks pretty good. Have you looked at many of the HPV sites out there? Good source for construction tips. If you are going to ride in the rain, I think you will want a wiper. Mine is not fully enclosed, so I can peek around the windshield.

Yoh .... large Philipino & Alaskavan ....... It reminds me a little of the first Honda car. Basically a big pimple with wheels & character. Alaskavan I don't know what HPV stands for....... uuuuum maybe Human Powered Vehicle? No I haven't, but have checked on a few Velomobile sites. Not sure they would approve of an engine but who cares? I will have to do some engine venting to direct some air around the cylinders as well as for fume removal if I totally enclose it. Today's concern is simply if this seems like a viable deal or not. Might be able to squeek a couple more months of riding as the weather gets colder (& rainy days) so today it is just a brain bubble ............

If the Human Powered Vehicle people don't like it, don't let them ride it.:)
Taking some time before you start making changes, should give you a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the bike, and should result in a better finished product. I am assuming from looking at your plane, that you are familiar with building molds and doing fiberglass work.

Yes I can do fiberglass work OK, but in the back of my mind I am thinking maybe creating the entire shell out of Vivak but have never worked with that & in fact didn't even know it existed until a few days ago. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on that idea? My original thought was to do the shell out of spruce stringers with a light weight, heat shrinkable dacron covering similar to aircraft which could be lighter than fiberglassing. The question about windshield wipers was mostly a legal question rather than a visability one. So on that I was thinking about the old manual automotive ones that you just worked with your hand.
I believe I will get the bike by the 15th so should know a lot more about it by the 30th.

Thanks for your input ............. Marv

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Vivek. If you need a manual windshield wiper, ypu can probably get one from a good boat shop.

Back