Newbie intro

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ecoplen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ecoplen

ecoplen New Member

Hey All,
    I came across what I think is a Chinese 50cc 2 stroke that was previously used, but I do not have any history. My current plans are to put it on an older Raleigh steel framed 27" wheeled 10 speed.
    I live in Atascadero, CA and have been mountain biking for 18 years. I figured that this would be a fun project to get into.
    I am interested in this forum to get info on building up my bike and riding it around.
    I work as a fisheries biologist and have been on fishing boats from the Bering Sea to San Diego.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. if you are determined to motorize a roadie bike, replace the handlebars with those from a cruiser or MTB.

3. ecoplen

ecoplen New Member

Thanks for the welcome and concern. I already have a set of upright bars ready for the cause. I figured it would be much better to have an upright sitting position for vision and center of balance. I am not interested in making a good story.

4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Welcome from SoCal!
    Beware of the skinny tires. They do not like high speed turns, or dirt in the roadway, or heaven forbid both at the same time.

5. ecoplen

ecoplen New Member

I was thinking about that. I was hoping to find some sort wider or cyclocross style tire. The frame selection is not set in stone. I also have a MTB style frame that I was going to use before I got the Raleigh. Maybe I should single speed the Raleigh and sell it for way too much money like everybody else, or just fix it up for a vintage road bike. Thanks for looking out for my safety.