No acceleration when I pull the throttle

Rafman

Local time
11:24 PM
Hi,

I'm new here. I got my 2 stroke motored bike about a week ago, 2nd hand. When I accelerate it sounds like 40 chainsaws are being revved at the same time, so I decided to do some fiddling to see if I could get it quieter. Big mistake.

I changed the rich/lean setting to leaner, but when I reattached the thing and tried to drive it I found that I had no acceleration, so whatever I did to it has messed it up.

It will start fine but when I twist the throttle nothing happens. I've taken the throttle cable out and re-attached it several times but to no avail - still no acceleration. I wish I never went at it.

I am certain I have put everything back the way it was, and I have even checked online tutorials about installing the throttle cable so I'm sure I have it in right.

If anyone could give me some clue as to why the thing might not be accelerating I would appreciate it massively.

Remove the air filter, then you can see if the slide is moving when you twist the throttle. Your cable is most likely broken or way out of adjustment.

Making it leaner won't make it quieter, and you should not be adjusting fuel settings until you learn how to read your spark plug. The spark plug changes color with different fuel settings, and some colors indicate when you are too lean, and running it too lean for too long will result in failure.

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed the problem, which was rooted in the carb pin slide thingymajig. The pin was not going back down into the jet when I released the throttle, the cause of which was slack in the cable; it was also fastened too tightly to the bike's main bar, via one of those small black plastic straps. So yeah, she runs well now, real well, apart from the loud pop pop pop noise of the engine, when I would like a nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, if you catch my drift.

But for now I'm a happy camper, having transport again, something to take me out of town. Thanks for all the help. You're ace.

Back