No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

Discussion in 'Dealer Reviews' started by 210061741, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 210061741

210061741 Guest

I came across this on the grubee website today.
    SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

2. augidog

augidog Banned

is there a link to this info? btw, if true, it's not undoable (some engine-companies have kept up and thrived) & could be a good thing in the HT's evolution. from what i've gathered of your posts, if you were challenged to give me a 48cc HT tweaked for compliance & efficiency, you'd have the knowledge to do it.

so, nightmare or dream...life is full of choices.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. 210061741

210061741 Guest

http://www.grubeeinc.com/

click total products

click 2 cycle engine kits

click skyhawk brand

right under whats new for Q4

about half way down the page.

But rumor has it Don Grubee says this every year

I hope

4. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Give us a real source. People have been saying this all year...but no one cites a source.

If true, fits right into all the new freedoms the new guys are bringing us after screaming about loss of rights with the old guys!!

5. 210061741

210061741 Guest

6. augidog

augidog Banned

well, the HT market is known for its' aggressive & manipulative 'tude, but to don's credit he's always been the one to invest in the improvements, and then the others piggyback off him...yaknow, i actually listened to a guy on the phone chuckle about buying a sample of the first generation of grube catalyst-mufflers and then sending it back to his factory for production...that was back when i'd had about enuff & went shopping closer to home for my MB-needs.

but, grube also made a free choice to do business in an economic-environment known for its' predatory behavior...and thru personal and public interaction with him in the past i can assure you he fits right in...so, even tho he IS the main HT-man, he's hasn't been all that, ya dig?

again, it's about choices...and true MB'ers have lots of choices.

imo, of course.

7. 210061741

210061741 Guest

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/2005/July/Day-13/a11534a.htm

E. Small Nonroad Spark-Ignition Engines (40 CFR Part 90)

We are adding a new Sec. 90.913 to better define the
    responsibilities for manufacturers choosing to certify their engines
    below 19 kW to the emission standards for Large SI engines in 40 CFR
    part 1048. We are also revising Sec. 90.1 to cross-reference
    provisions in parts 86, 1048, and 1051 that allow highway motorcycle
    engines and nonroad engines above 19 kW to meet the requirements in
    part 90 under certain conditions.
    We are making several amendments to the test procedures, such as
    improving calculations for humidity corrections, adding clarifying
    language, and adjusting reporting provisions. We are also updating
    current references to test procedures in 40 CFR part 86 by pointing
    instead to 40 CFR part 1065. In addition, we are making a variety of
    minor corrections and clarifications. See the Technical Support
    Document for a discussion of all these changes.

8. 210061741

210061741 Guest

Only time will tell.
    Hopefully it won't affect us

9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Remember that all evolution eventually ends in extinction..............

Heck, I think my new 2 stroke leaf blower has a three way catalyst, and evaporative emission controls. Silly tree huggers..........

10. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Standardized PHE testing procedures are now being drafted as part of the health care bill ....that's Personnel Human Emissions...how much gas do you pass and how bad is your breath?

11. 210061741

210061741 Guest

Justin from Piratecycles e-mailed me back about a question i had.
    He says after the 6th of this month no more Grubee can be shipped to the us.
    I guess it's not so much of a rumor.

No wonder Jim Manic Mechanic and Tony at RS are working on a new motor.
    If they can get them EPA Approved they won't have any competition.

There motors will certinally be in high demand.

12. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Ummmm ... wonder if they can get under the radar by being shipped as parts.."as in pieces"

13. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Its only going to get worse if they allow states to write their own emssions standards as they are talking about.
    I avoid these topics as they turn political in nature, but thats the heart of the problem.Discussing it here won't effect any change you have to take it up with your reps.

14. 210061741

210061741 Guest

I believe parts will be available.
    It will be DIY builda Motor

15. augidog

augidog Banned

well, when a group regularly thumbs its' nose at existing regulations, instead of trying to find comfortable compromise, then i guess evolution could mean extinction over time...but all we'll hear is the same old lame old (and self-serving) complaints. shoulda never offered anything larger than a 48cc, and the aftermarket shoulda thunk of the future a bit more than just today's dollar.

imo, of course.

musical trivia: cue "tommy james & the shondells - draggin' the line"...i've often wondered if that song was the first reference to "tree-huggin'" ...gol-danged hippies :jester:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  16. flashstar

flashstar Member

Why can't they just add a catalytic converter? Surely that would pass EPA specs. I agree though, this is ridiculous. Every minute that congress is in session, a little bit of our freedom is taken away.

17. If Tanaka and Mitsubishi can meet the regs so can other manufacturers. The cheap HT engines will have to be manufactured to better tolerances and quality and will no doubt cost more, Some manufacturers will try and some won't care and some will comply, eventually.

18. augidog

augidog Banned

this isn't about "losing" freedoms...it's about "abusing" freedoms...as a group, we've enjoyed quite a bit of freedom up to now...and we carped all over it by exercising (agressively asserting) our "freedom" of choice.

and what about someone else's freedoms besides "yours?" there is a large faction of MB'ers who use equipment that's never posed a threat to our movement, yet right now they all wait with bated breath to see if someone else screws it up for them too. i wonder how free they feel?

'mike45...i agree...i absolutely love the HT integrated powertrain...but i
    don't think much of anything else about it at this time, altho it still has great potential...

just imagine what a tanaka-quality 43cc HT could do.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  19. Scotchmo

Scotchmo Member

Some of the stricter regulations pertain to evaporative emissions. The catalytic converter only controls exhaust emissions. The self contained Tanaka and Mitsubishi type engines are self contained and have an integrated fuel system. The HT motor would have to have an integrated fuel tank in order to address the evaporative emissions.

I don't know about other states, but California required that gas cans all be redesigned a few years back. That was an effort to control evaporative emissions. It generally works but often causes additional problems especially after they develop a build up of pressure in warmer climates. Then, when you go to fill your lawnmower, the gas shoots all over the place. That just wiped out all the emissions savings from the new design.

You could argue that since the HT engine does not even have a fuel tank, it does not have any emissions. That only happens after someone builds a bicycle with a gas tank on it and then mounts an HT engine. I don't know if that is a loophole or not.

The HT engine is basically a kit and cannot be run as an engine by itself. I don't see how they can stop someone from selling a non-running set of parts since it can't pollute as it is sold. Maybe it will still be legal to buy the basic engine separately. Maybe just the engine minus the carburetor and exhaust. Or maybe just the short block. How they can stop the import and selling of individual components?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  20. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

just makes my robin/subaru eho35 look even better. I agree with augi though... this will just make mb engines better.