Engine Trouble -no spark- troubleshooting magneto & CDI

Glad to hear that augi.

Just a note, I took my mag side cover off before I ever started the engine, and it was FULL OF METAL SHAVINGS...mostly from (I think) the machining process, just was never cleaned up before assembly. Also, there was a LOT of flash from the casting process just waiting to break off from vibration and get in the mag.

Pop those covers off and at least spray it with some brake cleaner and compressed air!

Glad to hear you're back on the road bud. I never did locate a mag, but it sounds like you got it done!

My engine quit tonight. THANK YOU Augi for taking me to this thread!
I had already ordered both coil and magneto from Dax but at least now I can find out which part failed and will have a spare for my toolbox.
Man. I'm seriously thinking about getting another spare,just so i have a spare coil and a spare magneto.
I'm usually miles and miles away from home. I would hate this to happen to me again.
Man. It was like someone just flicked a switch and my engine quit running.
Scary.
Just curious. Anyone out there did any Mickey Mousing when it comes to these parts? Anyone using a magneto(unlikely) or coil (likely) from another application all together that worked?
This may be good to know in case you're stranded and the bus won't let you take your ride along and there's a motorcycle shop right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug I was having the same problem I tried to post but you know my problem......
...I cleanded out the bowel and took the mag apart and it was DIRTY!! cleanded the mag out with some MEK and a drop of new greas and there where a LOT of metal shavings in there and just plane ol crud the bike was hard to start but then after choaking the **** out of her she ran like her tail was on fire the engin is geting old now and she has her own personality like an old Ford. But she has made several long runs with no problems
Why didn't I read this earlier and investigated?
Turns out my magneto was simply wet the other day. Somehow when I lubed my chain,it got in there. I just took it off earlier,cleaned it up with a rag,put it back together and she's running once again!
And that extra oil all over? My chain lube. Just my chain lube. I tend to oil the heck out of it.
Well my coil and magneto should be here pretty soon from Dax. It's going straight in my tool box.
Never know when it will save my life miles away from home.
THANKS for sharing that,Cookie!

Last edited by a moderator:
It lasted two miles then it quit again. I'll just wait for that magneto and switch it out. I think I'm gonna order up another one soon.

electronic ignition woes.

1) while using an ohm-meter on the various coils, wiggle the connectors some. You might have an intermittent connection.
2) electronic ignitions can be very cantankerous. I had many problems with the old Kawasaki, ('74 F7 175 cc) to wit:
A) water getting in the connections. It takes surprisingly little.
B) a less-than-perfect attachment to the plug connector. I usually had to remove the connector proper, trim the wire, and then screw it back on again.
3) best to use a new plug to test. (gets rid of one *possible* variable.)

bike xtreme 125 4 stroke

Hi ive got a xstream 125 4stroke and i have no spark ive put a new plug in it and i think its the magneto can any one help

bike xtreme 125 4 stroke

Hi ive got a xstream 125 4stroke and i have no spark ive put a new plug in it and i think its the magneto can any one help

Welcome to the forum.

What is a xstreme 125? A dirt bike? I suggest you post on a dirt bike forum that deals specifically with the xstreme 125. This a motorized bicycle forum.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Hi guys I'm having a spark problem it kinda seems like I need to ground it somehow I've tried everything so far but here's my problem when I have the spark plug in the cdi boot and I push the bike no spark but if I touch the threads of he spark plug or any part of the metal of the spark plug while I'm pushing the bike then I get a spark how do I keep the spark when not touching the spark plug

Back