Jackshaft Opinion: Shift kits

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by TheJimGuy, May 9, 2012.

1. TheJimGuy

TheJimGuy New Member

Riding Schwinn Clairmont 26" (minus fenders), GT5 66, MM hub adapter with a 40 tooth sprocket with a 415 chain. 700+ miles so far (3rd rear tire). I have no low end, but cruise nicely at 27-32 mph. Sea level (Jacksonville Florida).
    What I plan to do is add a shift kit in order to have power thru the gears and cruise at 30 mph without being totally spun up.

Any opinions on best vendor or manufacturer? What to look for or look out for?

Appreciate the constructive comments that are sure to come this way.

Attached are pictures of my bike after the build and later with the baskets, drink cup:cheers2:, and helmet at the beach club.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

www.SickBikeParts.com is the originator of the shift kit and has the
    only one worth buying. They have updated and perfected the design.

Do not make the mistake of buying the poorly made Chinese copy of the
    old version of their shift kit.

3. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

I've had a SBP shift kit since 2010 (a 4-stroke through 3-speed IGH) and have almost 5000 miles on it. Love it, it sure increases versatility of one's drivetrain.

They take some finesse to setup and maintain and you'll be wearing out chains quicker. Being that you have an externally-shifted setup, you'll have to watch your chain run angle to make sure you're not running the chain at extreme angles in the gears you use the most.

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I have a SickBikeParts shift kit on my bike, which has traveled over 35,000 kilometers.
    It has been completely reliable, with only normal service items being replaced.

MotorBicycleRacing likes this.
  5. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

SBP ki here too...only complaint is that on long rides, it seems I have to adjust the chain every 2 hours or so. I've tried many chains with litle luck...they all seem to stretch. I need to make my own tensioner one of these days....keep wishing that SBP comes out with one.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

@ Skyliner - that's why you need to install left side and right side chain tensioners on your SBP shift kit :)
    Just ride your bike; without the need to endlessly &*$# about adjusting chain tension every few hours.

In saying, the SBP Shift Kit is the best and most useful invention since sliced bread...

and i agree, it doesn't matter what type of chain is used, they all seem to wear at about the same rate.
    Spent $150 on a Wipperman full stainless steel chain with special coating technology and it lasted 15% longer that a $17 KMC chain - don't for one second believe all the technical speak and fancy BS technology, for it's not worth the paper it's written on.

7. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Yeah, after about a thousand miles, the chains are usually pretty worn out. I usually use KMC 410H, it's only $9-$10 a box. I don't have a derailleur.

I've been experimenting with full halflink chain. I've found the halflink style to work extremely well on the short (12.5 links or 25 half links with my 4G shifter setup) run, and it's much smoother on the small sprockets. Considering it's almost $30 a box and doesn't wear any longer, it's kind of a moot point tho. I'm considering switching to #35 on the outer crank sprocket.

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

If I wanted a shift kit I already own it, called a motorcycle with 5 speeds or 6. You folks who want more than that are ruining it for the rest of us.

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Should i feel guilty having a motorised bicycle with a shift kit and 27 operational gears; engine power going through every one of them.

I also own a motorcycle, only with 6 gears; regardless of the fact that (at a race track) it's capable of 300 km/h (190 mp/h), but at the end of the day, the bike has only 6 gears - i call that "boring", for halfway across any common traffic intersection on my motorised bicycle i've swapped at least 4 gears with another 23 options to go :)

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  10. TheJimGuy

TheJimGuy New Member

I was unaware that I was ruining anything for anyone. I simply was looking to cruise at my 30mph without having the engine at top revs. I certainly apologize for having having a desire to have a bit of fun that is apparently not in concert with your opinion.
    I have no desire to have a motorcycle. I neither want the expense, speed, traffic issues nor insurance. I am, however fine with you having one.

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I do agree with you JimGuy.

The way speed limits are forever being reduced to insanely low numbers as a method of gaining ever larger government revenue (seems to be chronic issue in Australia), there is no longer any joy owning a motorcycle for use on the road network; the only real option being recreational racetrack events.

I concur: I neither want the expense, speed, traffic issues nor insurance

12. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I use a Staton Inc crank kit myself, it allowed me to keep the auto shift feature on my Land Rider bike.

Still I feel I should warn you Florida is really tough on motorized bicycles. You can have electric assist or be classified as a moped.

Florida law 316.003(77)

(77) MOPED.--Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

A cvt drive system or an auto shift system like I have on my rear wheel may get you around this law. Since any gear shifting would be automatic and not being done by the operator.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. zwebx

zwebx Member

if they only stretch, keep them on untill they break.... i have had chains that have "stretched" and i took a link out and they are still running atleast 1000 k's after

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Once you get past 75% chain stretch, the sprocket profile gets hammered out of shape and a new chain wears prematurely when running on an excessively worn tooth profile, apart from the fact that worn sprockets can cause chain suck as the altered tooth profile resists a smooth release of the chain roller.

I found this out the hard way back in my early days of motor bicycling, initially unable to understand what was causing the problem. Fitting a small video camera and observing the action made it all clear.