Orange Coast Chopper

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by BrettMavriK, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

Whole Lotta' Custom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

a very nice chopper motor bike you have built

all I can say on this early morning -- sweet

good day for a ride on that thing
  3. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

That turned out sweet, very similar to what I will be doing on my OCC Stingray, but I plan on using and internal 3 or 5 speed hub as the idler so it will be a stealthy shifter. Great work!
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Beauty. Looks like an "Exile" chopper.
  5. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

Thanks, guys!

Much midnight oil and I'm still working out the kinks.
    But I absolutely love the bike.
    Never thought 2.5" cubic inches could be such a freakin' blast.
  6. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

I did see a sweet project with a Nexus or Nuvinci idler, and it weighed heavily on my mind if I should do it before I started my build. I did not want to spend $350+ to find out if it would live. I have "peanuts" in this build respectively, and if the gear set up fails in any way, the parts are cheap to fix. It's not Stealthy however, but do cops really know what they are looking at when they see a jack shafted motorized bicycle? I could probably tell them the gears are only for pedaling and they'd believe me. =-]'

7. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Ah-men to that.
  8. That is a really sweet bike.
  9. h0tr0d

h0tr0d Member

Looks like a fun ride.
  10. junkyard

junkyard New Member

awesome job....looks great

but isnt your suspension upside down?.......if that shock comes apart your done for

be careful
  11. junkyard

junkyard New Member

ok my bad

i just looked at your build pics and thats some beautiful work on the suspension.....i can see now how it how you did it flames

12. The Freebooter

The Freebooter New Member

There's only one word for a beast like that:

Well done, a great build.
  13. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Impressive build!
  14. zackwyldefan

zackwyldefan Member

really impressive work. truly is. i always wanted to use the same chain on my chopper but i dont know how to converrt it like you have. i mean if i get a hub how can get it to work with the motor and chain on the right hand side? could you guys throw some light on !
  15. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

What are you running?

If it's a Schwinn Stingray, then rest assured because there is a kit coming....
    clamshellisolatedmotormountjackshaft5speed gripshifterdiskbrakespringerforkbadasskit =-]'

16. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

Lowered the gear ratio last night and took her for a spin....

Now I am too low!! 1st gear is done at 12 mph with the engine screaming.
    Fifth gear redlines at 42. I am like 2-4 teeth off the magic number.
    Gonna' try one more gear change and I believe I will have nailed it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  17. zackwyldefan

zackwyldefan Member

i run a chopper 24". i hope the kit fits with my bike too. where are these kis at?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  18. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

What kind of chopper is it?

Very soon.

19. zackwyldefan

zackwyldefan Member

its micargi prado deluxe chpr 24". similar to nirve switchvlade.
  20. BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK Member

I posted this elsewhere, but the developments may help other people in their builds, so I'll post it here as well.

Been addressing the shifter/chain jump problems with the chopper.

First off, I welded in braces from the top rear wheel cage hoop to the bottom and put a top gusset on the pivot tabs. This rid all but a very slight sideways deflection in the pivot action so now it is under control. Next was the chain misalignment issue from the freewheel to the jack shaft sprocket that made the chain want to grind the sprocket and/or jump off completely when in 4th or 5th. I went over to Creative Engineering with an idea for the now dual swing arm chain tensioner/idlers. They needed to be able to push the chain over to be more inline with the jack shaft drive sprocket. The idlers came with an ABS "spur" sprocket that just weren't enough to hold the chain in position because they rode inside the chain. My idea was to have slotted idler wheels to capture the chain on the idler arms. They needed to be deep with a high enough wall so the chain couldn't ride out when they pushed on the sidewall of the chain.
    So Jim and I worked toward a solution. Next he grabbed a couple pieces of black ABS plastic and cranked up the lathe after some careful measurement.
    The result was awesome. Two ABS idler wheels that looked like they'd really control the chain well. Took it for a test run to see if they'd work. Oh yeah, I also put on a much better derailer.
    All 5 gears up and down the dial, no grinding or chain jump. These wheels were the cure for my glitch. If anyone could use these wheels for their setup, give Jim a buzz. They would have a multitude of applications.
    Here's some photos of the slotted idler wheels and my other mods'...
    Big Thanks, Jimbo!

Attached Files: