Proposal: Technique for shifting without a shift kit.

Grandpa Herman

Local time
3:20 AM
Would it not be possible to flip the pedal-crank, rear wheel, and derailleur from the right side to the left side? Frames are usually symmetrical, correct?

Under these circumstances, couldn't we simply run a chain from the Happy Time engine to the pedal-crank's gears?

Would it not be possible to flip the pedal-crank, rear wheel, and derailleur from the right side to the left side? Frames are usually symmetrical, correct?

Under these circumstances, couldn't we simply run a chain from the Happy Time engine to the pedal-crank's gears?

Flipping the rear wheel would not work because the sprocket would only turn the wheel when you pedal backwards.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a left side derailleur.

Shifting

Hey Gramps, Welcome to M.B.c.
The only way I know is with a jackshaft setup. GOOGLE-Sick Bike Parts. See if it will work for you.
Thanks,
Big Red.

I think many have been brainstorming this paradox, to have the derailer, gears etc work the opposite ( left ) side, and still be able to start the MB.

Well, I am using a derailer on the left side. It is on my project bike, using 10 speed chain. That would be necessary plus more than one sprocket on the rear instead of the single one.
I will be doing a write up in a couple of weeks on the whole bike after it is done. I don't think any of it will be applicable to a HT though.

Back