Putting some kind of build lube on engine cylinder when putting together

graggy

Local time
6:37 AM
I just got my bbr 66cc engine. The cylinder is not on the motor but the piston is in the cylinder. I need to slide the piston down a little bit to attach it to the rod then slide the cylinder down and put the head on. Should I put some kind of lubricant in the cylinder or any other places so nothing gets scratched or just build it dry? Seems like some kind of prebuild lube might help but I’m not sure. This is my first build. I appreciate any help in advance

Is it a good idea to use it or do most people just put it together the way it is?
USE the two stroke oil on your fingers and lube the inside of the cylinder and the rings before putting it together.

Be very, very sure that the little pins in the piston that the rings will be pressing against are both on the intake side of the motor when installing it into the cylinder, NOT the exhaust side.

USE the two stroke oil on your fingers and lube the inside of the cylinder and the rings before putting it together.

Be very, very sure that the little pins in the piston that the rings will be pressing against are both on the intake side of the motor when installing it into the cylinder, NOT the exhaust side.
The piston is already in the cylinder. The instructions say to just push the piston down the cylinder just enough to put the pin in to connect it to the pushrod and put the clip in to hold it. The rings don’t come out of the cylinder just the bottom of the piston does. That’s how the video shows on how to put together. Apparently you connect the piston to the rod then push the cylinder all the way down and put the head on and tighten it

The piston is already in the cylinder. The instructions say to just push the piston down the cylinder just enough to put the pin in to connect it to the pushrod and put the clip in to hold it. The rings don’t come out of the cylinder just the bottom of the piston does. That’s how the video shows on how to put together. Apparently you connect the piston to the rod then push the cylinder all the way down and put the head on and tighten it
I can only tell you the way experienced builders would do this...If you wish to follow a youtube video instead, thats ok with me, its your motor and its your money.

My only question is why did you bother to ask in the first place if your only going to blindly follow instructions from a youtube video rather than the experienced "live" builders here in a forum dedicated to building and helping others avoid the mistakes that others make on these motors in building them???

No need to answer this, its just a rhetorical question on my part as I was an ASE certified master mechanic before my final retirement in 2010 as well as working for Valvoline for 20+ years...I guess the "youngster" on youtube must know alot more than I do or others here on the forums on the proper way to assemble an engine...lol.

You will need to learn how to install a piston and rings in a cylinder sooner or later if you plan to be in this hobby for any length of time.

No better time than now to learn how to do it. Just be careful and do not force the piston in. Once you see how to do it you’ll see it’s fairly easy.

The advice of being sure the ring guide pins face the intake is super important for these engines.

It’s also very important to be sure the wrist pin clips are seated properly in their grooves. It may be difficult to be sure of this while trying to install the clips while holding up the cylinder as also advised above.

Not following these 2 instructions may very well put an early end to your top end.

Back