Putting together my Phantom.

GW's Motorized

Local time
6:32 AM
Well I finally got to putting my Phantom together and I am hoping to have a bike to mount it to next week. I am thinking of buying a different piston just to up compression a little. I would also throw some caber rings in it if I go this route. Idk, maybe a mod for later. I was gonna run one base gasket and I don't think it will change port timing enough to change much.

I got everything greased up with some red n tacky and I put everything together without rinsing the bottom end (I just got in the goove and completely forgot that step, so I'll bedoing that) i am overall happy with how it's coming together and I'm considering of overhauling it after it's broken in just to get it's potential to go even further.

Overall I just would like to know if there is anything else I need to know about putting my engine together, and if I should wait to put a different piston in it or if I should just do it now to get things over with.

Nothing, I just was thinking if the squish gap isn't optimal I can get a 460 piston which has a bit taller of a crown. I read Rocket's thread on his build and he used a 460 piston in his to help the squish gap a bit.
You have to look at the intake and exhaust ports first, see if the piston is clearing.

I'm probably gonna order it and see if it clears ports, has a good squish gap, and if I like the compression.
Ordering parts that are not needed at the point of assembly is a good way to rack up the expense. If you were rich, or had a full time job, I'd say go for it. @DAMIEN1307 never had an issue with his piston.

Ordering parts that are not needed at the point of assembly is a good way to rack up the expense. If you were rich, or had a full time job, I'd say go for it. @DAMIEN1307 never had an issue with his piston.
I've been chatting with rocket amd he brought up some good points. I'm gonna put it back together with one gasket, then check.the squish gap. I will then see if I can possibly get some thinner gasket material. If not I will either order the meteor piston and caber rings, or maybe deck the jug a little bit. Either way I would like to get some caber rings ordered.

Here's a few tips for everyone else building a phantom 85.

A. If your bolts aren't dropping in to your reed block, loosen the top and bottom bolts.

B. Check the plastic doohickey that holds the reeds for casting flaws, mine had one whole reed blocked with extra plastic from casting.

C. Pull the reed apart and spray it all with carb clean. Mine had metal shavings inside the reed block.

Well GW'sMotorized I'd love to give you some advise but I have none. I don't want to hijack this thread but I started reading your post and I see the word squish or squish gap would you pleases tell me what that is?

Back