My Phantom 85 project

GW's Motorized

Local time
3:59 AM
I recently got enough cash from a side job to order a phantom 85. It came in today and I found the perfect frame for it, a mid 1960's Columbia Sterling. The frame is going to be reinforced in many spots before I even think of putting it together.

Im planning to go with a patina red on this bike. Some spoke wheels with disc brakes and hookworms. A nice dual spring front end will be nice too. Im likely going to do what Damien did and build a front mount for the 1 inch down tube.

As far as the engine goes I have a few plans. I am going to port match the intake and exaust, and eventually get a good expansion pipe on it. The jug won't go past the threads on this engine, what should I do?

I hope to have this bike done in a year or so the way I want it.

Here are some pictures. The one with the engine mounted is a dry fit.

Attachments

• 20231006_155814.jpg
    20231006_155814.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20231006_145349.jpg
    20231006_145349.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20231006_143214.jpg
    20231006_143214.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 92
I recently got enough cash from a side job to order a phantom 85. It came in today and I found the perfect frame for it, a mid 1960's Columbia Sterling. The frame is going to be reinforced in many spots before I even think of putting it together.

Im planning to go with a patina red on this bike. Some spoke wheels with disc brakes and hookworms. A nice dual spring front end will be nice too. Im likely going to do what Damien did and build a front mount for the 1 inch down tube.

As far as the engine goes I have a few plans. I am going to port match the intake and exaust, and eventually get a good expansion pipe on it. The jug won't go past the threads on this engine, what should I do?

I hope to have this bike done in a year or so the way I want it.

Here are some pictures. The one with the engine mounted is a dry
I had a similar problem with the jug not going Down have you figured it out tbh I couldn’t figure any reason for mine doing that I just took it off and back on and jiggled it till it seated down properly

I had a similar problem with the jug not going Down have you figured it out tbh I couldn’t figure any reason for mine doing that I just took it off and back on and jiggled it till it seated down properly
Its catching on the last bit of threads. I think the machining on the jug or on the case is slightly off.

Fab up a front motor mount and get that engine more level if you can. Seems a bit steep. You don't want to go beyond about 20 to 22 degrees of tilt or you will start having to tweak the float height to get proper fueling.
He can't even think about that without a couple of wheels and a fork. Angles change once the wheels go on, BTDT.

He can't even think about that without a couple of wheels and a fork. Angles change once the wheels go on, BTDT.
Sure he can. Just needs to make a jig. Sure, fork would be easier, but a little math and some easy fab work and you could hit that frame in a "working" position.

Back