replacing stock head with slant head?

zippinaround

Local time
10:36 AM
I was going to replace my stock head with a slant head however my stock one had 6mm holes the slant has 8mm and it only just squeezes on! just wondering if this is a good idea or a bad idea? i'm pretty sure my piston won't hit the head with just one base gasket and one head gasket. my piston only comes level with the cylinder and is flat. any input appreciated.......... turns out my engine is a 48cc and not a 66 good to know!

Attachments

• DSC01608a.JPG
    DSC01608a.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
my experience of the slant heads is this.

they warp and leak on the plug side of the gasket. this is just with my experience, but it still leaked even with a 3mm gasket.

machining/planing/sanding flat makes it worse as youre just removing even more material!

if you look on the finned side, where the vertical 48cc head has nice solid "beams" between the studs, the slanted heads have no beam at all between the studs on the plug side, as clearance is required for the sparkplug socket.

if i was to use a slant head, id go back to the scrapyard and get the head off that elcheapo generator there. appears to have the correct stud spacing, and theres plenty of meat under the plug. (the 500w 2 strokes as made by GMC or OZITO or similar cheap power tool brands)

go the mighty 48cc :) bigger isnt always better :)

my experience is that power is better with the stock head because the spark plug is at the center, where it should be

well thats good to know wish i knew that before i bought the thing ! not that it even mattered because it doesn't fit my engine! thanks for the info tho.

Back