Running super rich during break-in

Hey friends! First post here, sorry if I’m breaking some rules or something.

I’m left scratching my head a little. I’m probably 20 miles into the breaking period, I’ve already soiled a spark plug and had to replace (fine by me putting in an NGK instead of whatever crap they sent me), but I could tell from the state of the old one that I was running very rich. Before I got the bike cranked again with the new spark plug, I changed the clip in my NT carburetor to run as lean as it will allow by that adjustment method. Since I’m still in the break-in period, I’m hesitant to start messing around with the jetting. Do you guys have recommendations on how to lean out the mix without changing the jetting?

In some other threads I’ve seen recommendations as to air filters. Would that perhaps fix my problem? If so could someone drop a link to a recommended product?

Thanks guys! This forum has been a huge help getting me up and running.

P.S. I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge beyond what I’ve learned on this project. If you wanna check out a bit of my journey I made a YT video about it :)
The Video
(I said something in the video that might seem like a shot at the forum, it totally wasn’t, I read that in a product review. I love you guys!)
Berrytoucher man that video was awesome. I'm as green or greener than you were and you video encouraged and inspired me. I do have one advantage you didn't I'm starting with a felt faker. Tracking says its going to be here Monday and I've got to be honest I'm 54 years old and feel like a kid waiting on Christmas. BTW it looks like you have some great friend and a very pretty and sweet girlfriend she's a keeper. If you seemed post a question being new to this you might can give me insights others may not can. Take care.

As far as how lean your gonna want that, tell me what your elevation above sea level you are at...If you have either the BoFeng or NT carby, I can tell ya where to set the C clip on the needle that you should be at...Keep in mind that running too lean is the death of these two strokers.
Hello, I'm 341 ft above sea level according to some elevation map I used on Google. What jet size would you recommend I go to on a NT carb?

Adjusting the clip on the needle 1 notch up at a time to lean it out will help until full throttle. I had to go 1 notch up from the center and I'm 1180ft above sea level. Jet needs to be a tad smaller I think too but it's not to bad. Plug colour is nice. Just 4 strokes at WOT over 40kph

Don't run 40:1. Nor listen to anybody who says go from 40:1 out the box. Their idiots. I know this because i blew up a piston recently trying this. It destroyed the entire cylinder. You're 1k ft above sea level, try the need one notch down. That's richer. RICHER IS BETTER. Leaner will burn your pistons rings seasoning and setting for the first few tanks imporperly which can later resualt to blown piston rings, overheating, the bike excessively burning through fuel. So many bad scenarios I've learned to avoid... 20:1 break-in to be safe. 32:1 after your first 300 miles.

Back