Schwinn Stingray EBike

slickdude

Local time
9:31 AM
Some guy added a front hub 20" motor on his schwinn stingray. Check out these videos a great idea.

Cool idea, but I would find a way to mount the batteries in the frame triangle. The front hub motor looks like a drum brake.

Nope! That's a 20 inch front wheel with a 1,000 watt motor. The stingray can hit speeds of well over 32mph and surprisingly is still quite a stable ride. Being such light weight, that kind of power makes this a small fast rocketship.

A couple of years ago, the Walmart online had these stingrays for about $125.00 which wasn't a bad price. I checked that in 1971 dollars and it is quite cheap for the name brand. You can also add a gel banana seat. As far as in frame, that is much safer than under the seat as these types of bikes wheelie very easy at slower or take-off speeds. Once rolling, though, it is a very nice ride.

As for the tires, I would try and add Schwabe ebike tires and stay with thick tubes and put in "Tireject" in the tubes as this is the strongest stuff against flats. "Tireject" can fill a hole as large as 3/8 inch width and also easily seals tire beads. Anyhow, post Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and oh, by the way. If you go this route, it's not that expensive an ebike build. I believe it can be done for around $750.00 or less as an ebike project and it is certainly a nice oddity that will have people talking. just saying.

Back