Scraping noise when trying to start 2007 NE5

Stever

Local time
5:11 AM
When pedaling to start, there is an intermittent scrapping noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the engine, but I not sure. When I turn the engine and the clutch hub, there is no noise, only when I exert pressure when cycling the pedals. I just bought this bike and have not yet started the engine or driven it.

An intermittent scraping noise from the front/engine area when pedaling to start. This only happens when I pedal hard. If I pedal softly, there is no noise and everything turns over. I have just bought this bike, and have not yet been able to get it running. I have spark, new SP and carburetor.

When pedaling to start, there is an intermittent scrapping noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the engine, but I not sure. When I turn the engine and the clutch hub, there is no noise, only when I exert pressure when cycling the pedals. I just bought this bike and have not yet started the engine or driven it.

An intermittent scraping noise from the front/engine area when pedaling to start. This only happens when I pedal hard. If I pedal softly, there is no noise and everything turns over. I have just bought this bike, and have not yet been able to get it running. I have spark, new SP and carburetor.
Sounds like your crank sprocket is bent, maybe it got dropped or ran into.

Sounds like your crank sprocket is bent, maybe it got dropped or ran into.
Keep in mind this is on a Whizzer NE-5, I know nothing about the 4 stroke Whizzers so this could be something else entirely.

We really need some Whizzer experts to step up and answer this little quandry when they come online today...Folks like @Wrench and @mason_man and @Risk Man since they are Whizzer owners and may have encountered this very problem themselves on their Whizzers.

Thank you for your input. In closer inspection it would appear the noise is more like a squeal, like a belt slipping. I checked the pulleys and the drive belt and they are in good condition, belt rubber might be hard? When pedaling to start, the drive is off the rear wheel hub. With the resistance from the engine drive pulley, is it possible that the belt is slipping/rubbing on the engine drive pulley?

Pretty sure you have a auto clutch, remove the belt guard. You should be able to locate from there.

Ray
My 2002 WC1 makes a similar noise when pedaling or coasting slow with the clutch in. It seems like the belt may be rubbing on the belt guard or cover. Check that out as pointed out by Ray.

Back