Setting up R/S35

Axle too short

Went to the bikeshop with the rear wheel only 2day and he says they can probably make some changes to the hub...move parts around..take out some washers..move the axle to the right a bit...blah blah, but I dont see that working either as that will change the clearance of the drive ring to the frame..he is aware of that and mentioned it. They were friendly and open to my dilemma and he talked about the pressure exerted on the spokes by human power vs engine power when I brought up the idea of a 12gauge workman wheel. His opinion was that the spokes/wheel I had would be OK to use, as human power on the rear wheel at the gear cluster point exerted more pressure at a higher failure point than a 33cc engine could at the point where the ring is. They dont have a longer axle. He asked me to bring the whole kit and caboodle down there and they would try and make it work for me for $15 or $20 !?!?! WOW !! I ain't got nothin to lose on thet deal !! I am also thinking about a direct frame mount....that would solve the problem for $0 more money...but I am scared of screwing up the mount. Thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Having them help you is good, but GEBE recommends 12 & 14 gauge over 16, and so do most of the GEBErs on MB.com. And that switchover is about $35.

Sam has a good diagram of "frame mounting", and in those axle mounting links I put up, there were two or three more. That would get you running, and probably be transferable to a different bike down the road.

BUT, if the spokes didn't hold up, you'd have to upgrade to 12 gauge in addition anyway.

If you had to replace the axle mount, that would be a future consideration probably costing $30-40 (I don't know the price off-hand)

Off and running!!

Hey Guys !! Bama...my spokes are 14 gauge. I decided to frame mount the engine and it turned out good. Need to do a little adjusting as the belt is a bit off whack but not bad. When I cut the legs down on the mount I got it off by a little but I can move one side up or down to compensate with a little reaming out of the holes I made for the frame mount. Just came in from my first ride and too excited to post much now...will post pics of what I did, and more info later. All I can say for now is WOW!!! GOTTA GO!! SUNS STILL UP!!

Good deal Lars,

remember to vary the speed for breaking in, and remember what folks have said about 4 cycles not going full throttle for long periods.

Things will get smoother in about 150 miles, trust us.

cool beans baby!!

Wow!! Dont even think twice about getting this GEBE kit !! I put on 22 miles 2nite and it was TOO COOL !! All the little kids I passed were grinning ear to ear and all the ADULTS were waving and smiling...like ...Hey guy..you are our kinda people!! I dont know what it is but everybody loves it!! Really !! Maybe its the green thing or something..I dont know. Exhausted...gotta go nitey nite but will post more 2morrow. :D
PS...Bama..thanks for all your help and support!!

Great Info!!

Bama' I have went through EVERY ASPECT of what larymor is going through a year ago!

I even remember bringing that new Schwinn Bicycle home & realizing I would have to take it back due to those STUPID inward curves that would not allow room for the ring.

(At least he did not make this mistake!)

& I remember going to the liquor store as the sun was setting (after wasting several hours & a beautiful day) because I was so frustrated that I was not riding & looking at a kit with a million UNANSWERED questions & variables.

Finally through getting the FULL experience....I learned alot the HARD WAY...but I learned.
& I broke quite a few spokes in the process!

What a Godsend you & your knowledge are for people moving in this direction of "motorizing a bicycle"

Last year could have been so much more productive & less stressful had I known of this site & it's members!

BTW, I have settled on a bicycle.
I don't know if you would aprove, but it seems to be a fine bicycle & is first & foremost COMFORTABLE!

Will mount the Robin on it (for the time being/a week or so) but I know I will move up to the Tanaka.
The Robin is just so "mellow" IMO.
I want to fly!

I will PM you a message about selling it & hope you are still interested.
I WILL be keeping the mount though as it will be pretty simple to attach the new motor where the old motor was etc.
Don't want to move backwards & waste anymore time!!

Anyway, just wanted to take the time to compliment the site & you Bama'
for all the good you do!

Starrman15

Not a problem, glad to help.

It's more fun as more GEBE'rs and potential GEBE'rs come aboard, and the potentials can read these threads and gain experience just by asking the right question.

Like I didn't know until the end of this thread that Lars had 14 gauge spokes which is the minimum strength necessary. Jim's blowout is a whole different story, but good to know.

And Lars and Sams frame-mounting have given me insight at the same time, I might just start doing that myself.

Never too old to learn new things.

I don't know about 29 inch tires, but I do know this.
I bought the kit in feburary and have been running it hard.
The guys at the shop are excellent help but its not really user friendly. After the truck hit me the belt would not track at all and no matter what I tried (twisting thew rack , moving it up and down on the axel, washers under the bolts trying to change the angle) nothing worked. That was the first 10 mile hike i hade to take pushing the bike home. I bought thier wheel along with the kit and I guess I was too hard on it even though I dont off road it or anything other running it hard on the streets, becase it is trashed now. I had an extra 36 spoke wheel here and am, trying to put thier ring on and no luck! So I went looking for a new wheel and found one at REIs and was going to buy it and then remembered it couldn't have a quick disconnect. So I had the bike shop guy put the old axel from GBEs wheel into the new wheel , after walking home 4 miles to get the old wheel!!! well, luckly they were open yesterday and i walked up there and picked the wheel up and brought it home, thinking all right i will have my only transpo back tomorrow. NO LUCK!!!((( The ring doesnt fit on the new wheel either so i called thier shop and they swear it will fit on any 36 spoke wheel but I am SO STUPID I cant fit it on this one either..,. Looks like I will need to order a new wheel and ring from them for another 125+. You know I love this thing when it is running but I tell you what. You got to be an expert in bike and engineering to keep it running. So far a new rack and belt, (that took 3 weeks to get here). and now a new wheel and ring.(((((

Spoke gauges....

Bama' what gauge are my spokes on on the wheel I purchased from GEBE?

I would assume they are fairly strong as Dennis reccomended it.

I'd measure them myself....must be a tool for that??

Hmmm...

Starrman15

Back