Simple bike

Greggl4321

Local time
11:28 PM
If one was wanting to build a simple bike, would all one need is the huffy cranbrook or the panama jack, and a cheap engine kit?

I'm just trying to get something that is fun, and easy. Would I need upgraded chain tensioner etc etc ?

What would I need to get a basic bike going?

Would a kick scooter be better for commuting to, from, and around college? Looking into getting the a5 lux.

Any reccomendations?

double check the laws in your state and campus first. the other issue is that you won't be able to ride it on the sidewalk or public pathways where a kick scooter might be better. are the electric kick scooters allowed on your campus those things are great for inter-campus use and can recharge in appt or dorm.

for a basic kit, it is going to range from $100 to $350 for common kits. if you go the $100 route, you will have ton of repairs and need to go half speed to prolong the life of the kit.

one thing to consider is where you're going and is it likely to get stolen from there

Personally, I think you need a decent bicycle with a front brake and the knowledge and tools to maintain it.
Also you need a decent helmet and gloves. Then you can think about motorising. I am of the opinion that it's worth doing properly and safely or not at all.

Last edited:
If one was wanting to build a simple bike, would all one need is the huffy cranbrook or the panama jack, and a cheap engine kit?
Thats a great hobby combination for the tinkerers that what a toy they have to spend more time and money fixing than riding.

For on campus college life this is the ticket.

2_HisHersElectrics-HisDoneR-1280.jpg

500W 3-speed electric beach cruiser.

~$800 including battery with all new parts to build yourself.

Dead quite, clean enough to park in your in kitchen, put in a car trunk, or take on mass transit.
You can pedal it with the 3-speed with no motor drag, and run over 30mph with electric assist.

Just another option, a far more reliable one for those that don't want to tinker with it every time you want to ride it, in fact you seldom have to tinker with it all.

Depends on who is paying for college.
All I know is an electric is clean, quite,reliable, and welcome on campus.
A bargain 2-stroke is none of those things.

This is a $20 used bike with a bit of care and new cables ($15?) and a $60 used 48cc motor kit bought locally because the owner wanted a 66cc.
full

It will do about 30mph which is plenty fast. It is not flashy and does not attract attention from thieves.
I leave it in gear with the kill switch off, and locked of course.

It is reliable, I have taken 50kms trips with it. If the motor ever dies, I can pedal home.
The motor is mostly stock and I typically ride at about 20-25mph so I believe it will last a long time.
It is light enough to be carried up steps to be locked in the porch for the night.

Back