"So & So" Motorbike Co. I don't get it???

bike building

Well as it turns out, I just spent today moving my shop to new digs. This included my 780 lb unimill. I am now waiting for some quality time with my chiropractor. The aluminum stock is on order and I suspect next weekend I will start cutting. I've ordered six bikes and six motor kits besides. DID YOU KNOW- you can go to walmart.com and order any bike they stock and have it delivered to your door? They have a multitude of Cranbrook variations and options including welded-to-the-frame backracks, drink holders and bottle openers attatched to bike. One bike even has an amplifier for your digital music widgit- they call it the 'Kareoke'. Translated from Japanese, it means 'Tone deaf'. Anyways... once I procede with these mounts, I will document the process.
the Old Sgt.

As for "assemblers" calling themselves a MB "company"... I'm going to guess that very few of them make their bread and butter selling their assemblies-- the bulk of their business is from selling the parts and pieces to the DIY crowd, and then build (ahem... "ASSEMBLE") a handful of bikes for the folks who are looking more for a quick start into the hobby.

I don't think there is a large enough number of people with disposable income to fuel a sustainable demand for TRUE builds. Is there a demand for them at all? I would have to say "of course there is a DEMAND for true custom builds!" Heck, I would love to have a reproduction of an actual turn of-the-century motorized bicycle (which is what the first motorcycles were) but I will never have that kind of cash. While I am doing the work myself on my bike, and while there is some customization beyond "just paint", my bike is going to be fairly stock since I am not a metal fabricator.

I think the biggest portion of the MB market is the DIYers-- the people who want to fabricate their own thing regardless of cost because THAT is what they want out of the hobby, and the people who use stock parts because it's really all they can afford.

Back