So this finally broke...

MechMike219

Local time
2:46 AM
Sad news.. my frame broke finally 😔.. it was not the best of moments when I felt the death wobble and looked down to see about a 1/2" gap between both tubes.. needless to say I went from full throttle to full stop before I could even say oh fu... Yeah, that quick.. lol.. huge thanks tho to the guys at the mechanic shop for the couple pieces of scrap metal and hose clamps for my makeshift get me home apparatus.. it's just some flat bar we beat with a hammer until it fit along with an l bracket underneath and tack welded together.. But it got me home.. it's a good thing a decided to buy a new frame Tuesday just incase this happened.. sad tho.. but I will rebuild it. It'll be stronger and faster next time you see it..
20230531_200939.jpg

Going to assume that's a chromalloy frame. Any idea what caused it? Weight, stress from the motor? Glad you're ok.

No its the aluminum gt frame from cdh. I'm gonna assume it broke from everything over the last 2 years.. rough roads, increase in power and torque, the broken axle that jammed the wheel into it. I already had it fixed there once, and it broke just next to that weld. So, I'm just gonna have that whole bottom section cut out and do something similar to the ghettobike reinforcement with thicker tubing and then it should be good. There's a couple other things I wanna do to the frame also, like remove the kickstand, add a caliper mount to the right side and weld the crack in the bottom of the tank that has been there since day 1.. 30 day return policy and it was like day 32 when I put fuel in for the first time so when it poured out.. guess who had to deal with it.. meeee! But it's been good to me otherwise, so eventually I'll get it fixed and just swap everything to the new frame when it gets here Monday. Hopefully the new one doesn't have any pinholes in the tank. I really don't wanna have to spend a day cleaning and prepping the tank to wait another 4 days for tank sealer to dry.. only to have it start flaking off a couple months later and clog up petcock, line and carb. Nightmare.. anyway.. lol.. is what it is.. I'm just glad it didn't break completely cuz that really would have hurt.. I'm good on that, I'll pass..

Yeah.... I'd already have a tank frame if there were a steel option. Sorry... with my stature I have zero trust of an aluminum frame.
I'm with you on that one. Those frames are pretty but seem to be prone to problems. For what you'll pay for those frames, you could have a custom built gas tank made for a steel frame.

From what I read on here from you folks an aluminum alloy frame is not a good idea for the in frame motors/vibration. I don't have any concern with a rear mount in my mind. 1 thing, if the frame ever gets bent or cracked that's when it's concerning.

From what I read on here from you folks an aluminum alloy frame is not a good idea for the in frame motors/vibration. I don't have any concern with a rear mount in my mind. 1 thing, if the frame ever gets bent or cracked that's when it's concerning.
The thing is there's only a few of us rear-rack riders. Most are mid-frame.

I'm with you on that one. Those frames are pretty but seem to be prone to problems. For what you'll pay for those frames, you could have a custom built gas tank made for a steel frame.
All the more reason, at least for me, to always just stick with good, well built, steel frames.

Especially so with the power and torque produced with P-85s.

Back