Starting 1st build - Grubee Starfire - sprocket kit

thats a cool bike,now you dont need special mounts.

Exactly!! :D The motor fits the down tube, front and back just fine. I need to grind off the bottom mount for the water bottle hangars though. they're getting in the way. Shouldn't be a problem.

man, that Schwinn Cro-Moly frame is HEAVY!!! I'm used to riding a 26lb MTB everywhere. Glad I'll have a China Girl to help haul me around on that thing. heavy....

Last edited:
get a 36 spoke wheel and use all 9 bolts for a proper installation,you dont want your chain coming off.

Now that I have a 7 speed MTB, I can find 36 spoke freehub wheels all over the place... I'll stick with the 9 bolt, 36h setup. (thanks mate!)

-jav

build update:

- I picked up a 36h, freehub rear wheel that fits up fine with my 7 speed setup. yippee! the 9 hole rag clamp fits up fine now. (Had to run some new spoke tape on it, no biggie).

- had to rebuild the whole power train. the grease in the bottom bracket looked OEM vintage, and was petrified. everything spins fine now after the rebuilds.

- swapped out the the bottom pull, top swing front derailleur. as that it was interfering with the rear engine mount. I had a spare bottom swing, top pull front derailleur, (an old shimano XTR).

- had to grind down two of the water bottle mount studs, (interfering with the engine mounts).

- swapped out both front and rear engine mount studs with US grade studs. (and a little blue loctite.

- had to file out one of the mount flange holes on the exhaust pipe. (had a bunch of metal **** needing to be cleaned out.

- I'm re-plumbing the shifter & brake cables. (I have some spare new cable sets lying around, so no big deal. Also went with the single brake lever that pulls for both front and rear brakes).

Next steps:

- configure the throttle, (drill a hole in the handle bar as well?)
- mount the gas tank
- clutch work, throttle work, etc.
- head over to Walmart, buy a slime tube for the rear tire, and some slime liners for both the front and rear tires. (over kill for the rear, but hey, I don't want to be on the road changing that rear tire and dealing with two chains).

Timeline:

- planning a shakedown cruise for either Sat. or Sunday.

Issues:

- my 7 speed shifter pods are under the handle bar mounts. On the right side, (where the throttle is), no room to have the shifter pod, dual brake handle, and the throttle setup to be adjacent to each other. the shifter pod levers hit into the throttle setup. So I'll probably have to push the shifter pod up along the handle bar, to make some clearance. I can probably live with it for now, since the idea is to keep the bike in low gear, get the motor running, and then motor along. So I probably won't touch the shifters that much, unless to ride home with a dead motor.

I'll take some build pictures later today, and post up.

TIA,

-Jav

Picture of the rig. Plus a shot of the right shifter pod. (interference with the throttle body). Gotta tighten up the chain, (pull out another link or two. have already removed 7 links). And, will cut down the throttle cable after the shakedown cruise. Planning that for later today.

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 222
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 210
SUCESS! IT RUNS!!! completed 2x 15 min. runs. All need is to dial in the idle. (won't hold an idle).

yahoo!

do you have a o-ring in the intake to carb and silicone around the intake.

I'll have to check that out. Also, I want to swap out the OEM air cleaner setup, and get something better. I'm also thinking about dumping the 415 chain, and going with a BMX chain.

-Jav

I'm running dino 2 stroke motor oil for the 1st tank or two. But will switch to the 80/20 synthetic/castor afterwards. hoping to reach break in within the next few days.... (got Friday off, plus Sat. & Sun to make some rides. But it's really hot here right now!!!)

Also, I'm thinking about stepping down on the gas octane. I went with 91. But the compression level is low on these HT's. So maybe 89 or 87 when I switch to the 80/20...

reg gas is good for these low compression engines
higher octane is wasted and could possibly cause pre-detonation (I think I remember reading that :))

Back