Strange clutch sounds with cover on.

robe

Local time
4:16 AM
So here is something that messed me up today. I have three videos showing the condition. The first is rolling over with no cover works great, the 2nd with the cover on, clutch engaged. 3rd cover shimmed and disengaged. I completely took it apart, checked, adjusted several times. I've come to the conclusion that something is bent or out of wack. Have a new inner assembly coming tomorrow. Amazon to the rescue again.Check it out.

Rats, how do I upload mp4 videos?

Until I figure out how to upload videos the long and short is, without the cover it is smooth, with the cover in place it is rough, not grinding just binding every few degrees. I shimmed the cover and it was better but not good enough.

No sign of any rubbing on the cover. Looks to me that the inner rod that actuates the flower nut is bent. On turning it over it moves concentrically a little bit. When I had it apart I didn't check it for bent. Should have.
Also the bucking bar seems like it is too long by 1/8 compared to my other similar motor. A head scratchier for sure.

No idea what else could cause this.

No sign of any rubbing on the cover. Looks to me that the inner rod that actuates the flower nut is bent. On turning it over it moves concentrically a little bit. When I had it apart I didn't check it for bent. Should have.
Also the bucking bar seems like it is too long by 1/8 compared to my other similar motor. A head scratchier for sure.

No idea what else could cause this.
Seeing that the clutch on the other side is connected to the gear on that side, it would be best to pop the cover off the other side too for a little inspection. It might be that once you put the cover on, it's pressing on the plate or cover on the other side.

Amazon came through and I have the new inner piece. I'll take it apart again today and really check it over. What I like to say is, this time for sure.

Chain, it clunks with out the clutch side cover on.

Amazon came through and I have the new inner piece. I'll take it apart again today and really check it over. What I like to say is, this time for sure.

Chain, it clunks with out the clutch side cover on.
I built a bike a number of years ago and the wheel would not turn the engine over at all. I took the clutch off and the crank was free to turn without it, so it had to be in the clutch. I put a socket on the nut on the clutch side and turned it, the whole shaft then broke free and was easy to turn. I put the whole thing back together and it was fine ever since. Any number of crazy ailments can plague these engines, so you just have to examine them really closely. I some times do that before I put it together, or, I check the replacement and then check the one that was installed after. That's what happens when you have more than a couple to play with.

Mobettabikes gave me a 3 pack deal last winter, so now I'm down to 4 left.

Well I took it apart again and compared the original inner clutch part with the new one. They are identical except the new one has a slightly longer spring that isn't as thick.
Checked the original for out of true, perfect. So put it all back together yet again. Now I have another spare part.

I measured the distance from the mounting flange of the left cover to the clutch release rod face and compared that to two others I have and discovered that the distance is greater by a couple mm. That could be the problem causing the binding.

I will reduce the clutch release rod face by a couple mm to make more distance and not preload the bucking bar and see what happens.
All fun but I'm glad I'm not getting paid by the hour to work on this. Lol.

Back