Successful "Vendor" to "Sponsor" do you do it?

Discussion in 'Dealer Reviews' started by augidog, May 4, 2009.

1. augidog

augidog Banned

ok, here it is...someplace to talk about the benefits of "vendorship" and how to use them to successfully graduate to "sponsorship"...but, it's also a place to talk about the possible negative effects a bad-apple or two can have on everyone's image.

i can think of a couple guys here who i'd love to see share some insight about their success. i truly believe the MB-future is at the local business level, maybe you can all help each other out by discussing how to present yourself on the forums during that growing stage.

vendor/sponsors: be careful, the regular member/consumer may step in if you slip up.

regular members: please be respectful of the guys trying to help things move forward.
    Last edited: May 4, 2009

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

All I have to say is that it would be a good thing if new vendors had to wait X number of days and have X number of posts before they got Vendor status.

That would keep the drive bys, one post wonders, the non contributing link spammers out and solve a lot of problems in one fowl swoop :grin5:

It would give new vendors a chance to look around, learn the ropes and get

Just like the Vendor review rules work.

30 days???
    30 posts???

Also no links in your signature for the same period???

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Not a bad idea. The only problem is forcing these spammers to post 30 times! They are just going to try and pimp their product 30 times before they can post in the appropriate category.

We clearly need to reform the vendor rules. I think that forcing them to get to 30 posts + 30 days before they can mention their product even once might be a positive solution. The will register, mention their product, we will let them know they can't mention it for 30 days + 30 posts, and if they do, they will be banned.

Problem solved?
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

heck yeah...reign 'em in until they've proven themselves. believe me, the dedicated ones won't kick but listen & learn instead, while the mercenaries will simply go "elsewhere"...& good riddance..."MBc wouldn't let me spam 'em, so here i am! :)"

and encourage participation in this topic, or something on the successful "vendor-to-sponsor"'s to maybe give some tips...the local cottage industry will be better off with some mentoring....competition can be cooperative in nature, but only with definition and firm policy.

then, maybe ask them to tell you "what kind of merchant am i?"...a business plan so to speak, as detailed or vague as they want, about how they intend to interact with the members, and how far they'd like to take their endeavor.

trust me...nay, trust history..."quality over quantity" is a sound philosophy that will pay off in the long run.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

All good stuff. The only two cents I will add/ask: Are "regular members" really aware of the difference between a vendor and a sponsor?
  6. augidog

augidog Banned

i think not really. there's still a ton of impulse-buying going on, and many poised to take advantage of that...this group is better-informed, and clearly more outspoken, than any other group out there. so why not use that collective info to further improve the market by making sellers earn the priviledge to present at MBc, but only as a temporary means to to a mutually benificial end?'s you i think of when i talk of mentoring.
    personally, i'd love to hear the story of vendor to sponsor behind SBP.

afterthought: could free vendor status eventually expire after a suitable amount of time for growth?
  7. Tom

Tom Active Member

You know what, that actually might be a good idea. There are lots of vendors that just "pass through" and try to freeload off the forum and steal some of the established and/or paying vendors.

I'll think of something tomorrow.
  8. Pablo

Tom - there is one thing I still don't quite understand. Why even have a "free" "Vendor" designation? It seems to be at the root of the problem. I really don't know of other BB/chat websites that allow people to sell stuff as VENDORS without paying up. You could have a tiered pay system. Of course "vendors" won't like it, but why should they be allowed to sell stuff, have the same rules as sponsors, yet do it for free? I realize the fee pays for the banner, but again the tiered system could handle this. Just a thought.
  9. Waterfowl

Waterfowl MBc-Sponsor

I am the sponsor for the EZ ad. Forbisher or any other dealer represents their own dealership. Their individual views are not specifically shared by the other dealers.

Only Mike or Quenton can represent EZ as a whole. Which they both do with class.
  10. augidog

augidog Banned

paul: altho i like that MBc tries to help out new businesses, i have to admit i'm leaning more and more towards your way of you recall how long it took you guys to make it from vendor to sponsor? mayhaps with some hard data the issue could start working itself out.
  11. Pablo

I don't remember the "journey" in total detail. So I can't tell a tale, but what I do know for SBP to "advertise" on ANY site, we would need to be site sponsors, because I already was a sponsor. Of this there was ZERO doubt on our part, so the lag time was very minimal. In fact, in my naiveté I used to think vendors paid as well.

For example, I've been a sponsor here since 2002: They have sponsor fees to run the big banner add, and it costs some decent money. The number of sponsors is limited (some kind of waiting list now) and there is ZERO tolerance for spamming and ZERO tolerance for ANY level of commercial selling from non-sponsors. Naturally the drawback is the guy just starting out can't just start selling stuff - I suppose this is where MB sites differ. If you have a NEW idea and you want to start selling it, how to advertise? Again, a tiered fee system would work. OR a single forum ONLY with a low fee.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  12. Tom

Tom Active Member

You really bring up an excellent point. I have been around to many other forums (non-bike related) and have noticed that most have an extremely strict no-spam and no-selling policy.

Makes me think we are doing something wrong here, which I believe we are.

I am going to come up with a pretty strict set of rules in a moment here; we will have some pretty big changes.
  13. augidog

augidog Banned

just thought of something...if a "tier" setup is being considered, a small text-link section under the sponsor's list, reasonably priced, would suffice for many of us who may like to promote something or other :)
  14. loquin

loquin Active Member

One of the sites that I mod at has two forums where any member could place an ad. One is for goods/services, one is for recruiting.

ANY spam (or self promotion/'pimping') outside those two forums gets whacked and the member warned. However, IF it was their first post, the offender gets banned. (so many spam-bots, so little time...)
  15. augidog

augidog Banned

this is looking good...can i say something here, almost of a political nature, but on-topic?

the situation around the world surely must have taught us all something by now...too much trust, not enuff questioning, plus plain old greed, well that "system" didn't quite do it, now did it? the entire global market is changing even as our small corner does.

transparency!! is the answer to a successful, and sustainable, market of any kind.

transparency = accountability.
    accountability >/= honesty.

Tom, please strive for cystal-clear transparency as you re-structure the rules, and please INSIST on it from anyone you affiliate with, whether they be sponsor, online, offline, contributor, or member.
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Agreed. I believe in full disclosures. I really hate it when people try to hide things.
  17. azbill

azbill Active Member

that's why I made my post...
    stating MY personal situation :cool2: