Swivel trike

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by Motormaker, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

I know this one is a little different. And I know this is a motor only bike. So don't buck and snort about no pedals and such. Any way here it is.
    DSCF0053-2-1.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/motormaker/DSCF0053-2-1.jpg
    It started life as a 20 inch aluminum frame bmx/stunt bike.
    DSCF0054-1-1.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/motormaker/DSCF0054-1-1.jpg
    I added a 5 1/2 hp honda clone engine. And a couple of 4.10/3.50-5 wheels from northern tool.The top speed is 26 mph. However it is geared low. With 5.5 hp faster speeds are easy with a simple change of sprocket.
    DSCF0055-1.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/motormaker/DSCF0055-1.jpg
    The trick piece is the swivel between the motor assembly and the bike.
    DSCF0061-1-1.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/motormaker/DSCF0061-1-1.jpg
    This one is a lean to turn affair. It is an odd feeling to lean a trike and keep all three tires on the tarmac. When you are riding it "feels" like there are only two wheels. If you were to leave the pedal cranks intact it could be returned to a fully functional bicycle in a few min. There were no frame mod's at all. If you want to turn heads this will do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009

2. great job!!!! and good idea! that thing must be pretty fast?? it would be intresting to keep the wheel at the back and put the engine up front.:)

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

that's a very cool looking little MB -- that -- any MB lover would love to ride

just doing some MOUNTAIN thinking here
    how would you like to be around -- 8 years old
    and find that THING under the Christmas tree ???

yes -- that's what Iam talking about

or -- how about 57 year old -- finding that MB under the mountain Christmas tree

if anyone happens to know my wife -- I hope you know what Iam getting at..

ride that MB thing

4. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

That things darn cool! Very unique.
    The only thing that scares me a bit is the absence of a rear brake. Maybe some way to work a drum or disc brake into the rear axle?
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

Yes, it does take awhile to stop. I was thinking about mini-bike wheels with internal drum brakes for the rear.

It kinda killed my post when the pictures were removed. I understand your policy now. If you want to see more pics and much more detail look here:
    http://motorbicycling.com/f36/couple-briggs-style-bikes-3921.html

6. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi mm; i was ripping through c/list i seattle--there is a thing called a honda gyroS threewheeled scooter for 1850. it has all the lights and stuff. i had never seen one. mitch

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

The Honda Gyro is a great little scoot. I rode one quite a lot in the early 90's, till it got stolen.

8. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

A couple months after I built this one I saw a picture of a Gyro. I too was impressed. I have got to hand it to honda they make nice stuff.

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

They still build the Gyro - just don't sell it here anymore due to NHTSB regulations. It is very popular all over Asia.

10. isoxazole

isoxazole Member

They Gyro by another name is T-Rex. It's a three wheeled trike with an engine at the back. I seen them at an rv show last winter. There were both gas and electric models.

As for this swivel trike... Well I cheer on anyone that has the enthusaim to bolt on an engine themselves. HT or other.

lol I'm in the leage of monster MB's so cheers! And get some brakes on that!

11. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

Rear brakes are on the way fellas.

12. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I wanna see this thing do burnouts on dirt and gravel! Lawnjobs perhaps?

13. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

My 10-year-old niece rode my swivel trike. She was so shocked by the take off she couldn't let go of the throttle. She layed a 30 foot patch across my mom's yard then continued across the drive way, through an apple orchard and into a soy bean field. All in a dead straight line. She didn't turn it 5 degrees the whole time. The beans were about 2 feet tall they slowed her down till she fell over. She was laughing when she crashed. She only rode it for 10 seconds. She giggled for two hours after that. My brother said she couldn't talk about anything else for a week. She is a city kid and has never ridden anything with a motor before. I guess the problem with gearing down for lower top speed is violent launches.

14. shroomer

shroomer New Member

I LOVE this.... Please post a vid if you can.

15. unraw

unraw Member

Innovative idea

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

then as we know before long -- she will be

she has them in her blood now -- little motor bikes

hope that when she comes back out to visit
    with a little more instruction
    she can ride the heck out of that THING

might want to adjust throttle cable so she can only use 30% to start
    and then as we know -- before long

she will be a riding that motor bike thing

17. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

i LOVE that thing.

i'd really like to see it done with a full size bike and somewhat wider rear wheel track.

steve

18. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

You might get to see that. Swivel trike 2 (the sequel) is in the works. I was kicking around the idea of using a 26-inch bike. I don't know yet. Too cold to build right now. Come on spring.

19. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

i'm in Nappanee, IN. and LOVE road trips.

steve

20. ajizzle

ajizzle New Member

I was toying around with the idea of making a swivel trike with a 6.5hp motor but i recently contacted a guy on craigslist that can get me a brand new Tecumseh 11hp engine for 170 bucks delivered!! I will need to build it a bit bigger and get a rear brake.