Tanaka PF3300 makes awful grinding noises...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by MGDB, Sep 10, 2012.

1. MGDB

MGDB New Member

I got a new Tanaka PF3300 engine off ebay to mount on a staton friction drive I bought. I got it today. Being the eager person I am, I put in some 50:1 mix, primed it, attatched the throttle cable and fired it up. Keep in mind the cluthc cover thingie wasn't attatched.
    It started up, making this awful grinding noise. I shut it off immediately. What did I do wrong. Do I need to connect it to the clutch bell on the friction drive? Or did I get a bad engine? It wasn't like a normal sound either as I have a Tanaka string trimmer witha 2 stroke. It had a vibrating grinding noise. Did I wreck something? Maybe the throttle engaged as that was a bit tight. Please help!!!!

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Who was the seller, out of curiosity?Sounds like a send it back pronto situation.

3. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

How old is the gas mixture? if fresh, maybe need to send it back to the seller.

Good Luck,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

4. MGDB

MGDB New Member

Its fresh, and its from a mix so its mixed right, I used it in my string trimmer alot.

Ok guys, so I figured out what the grinding was. The clutch housing was off, and the clutch started to engage I guess and scraped the clutch rotor on the inside of its "wall". I could see some marks on the rotors of obvious wear. Should I have my clutch housing on? Or what? I guess the engine mus have tried to enage the clutch, maybe my throttle cable was too tight?