the new briggs alum flywheel build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgyrobotron

Local time
7:48 PM
Under 'briggs alum flywheel' thread, I have striped it and started this build. I swapped out the crank for a 5/8 shaft crank. Gonna try a rag joint on a coaster brake rear wheel. I've always made shifters...but I like engine braking also and freewheelin don't give that.
WP_DS20170206.jpg
WP_DS20170206.jpg
dang posted double

Under 'briggs alum flywheel' thread, I have striped it and started this build. I swapped out the crank for a 5/8 shaft crank. Gonna try a rag joint on a coaster brake rear wheel. I've always made shifters...but I like engine braking also and freewheelin don't give that.View attachment 75665View attachment 75665dang posted double
Thx, I've already replaced the seat tube. I cut, heated and bent to get it down lower. I want the engine low. The other bike was to high. Through all this 'practice' cut'n, weld'n I'm gaining the confidence to make my own frame.

Thx, I've already replaced the seat tube. I cut, heated and bent to get it down lower. I want the engine low. The other bike was to high. Through all this 'practice' cut'n, weld'n I'm gaining the confidence to make my own frame.

Nice! :)

Cool lookin bike. Low and lean. Are you going to build a in frame tank for it? Be a shame to mess up those lines with a kit tank. I have had good luck with the cyclops tires.

Cool lookin bike. Low and lean. Are you going to build a in frame tank for it? Be a shame to mess up those lines with a kit tank. I have had good luck with the cyclops tires.
I put 1500 miles on cylops, still going. I did blow a side wall by not checking my linear pull Daily! Thx..i do not use peanut tanks. I'll rack mount a pred 79. I wont spend the $ for in frame. Maybe side by side water bottle, or a juice can right below the seat.
WP_DS20170221.jpg
WP_DS20170213(5).jpg

I put 1500 miles on cylops, still going. I did blow a side wall by not checking my linear pull Daily! Thx..i do not use peanut tanks. I'll rack mount a pred 79. I wont spend the $ for in frame. Maybe side by side water bottle, or a juice can right below the seat.View attachment 75747View attachment 75748
She'll look good either way. I just figured your welding skills look good enough to build your own in frame tank. Even if you had to go a little heavy on the gauge you would be able to keep that old school look, and open up the rear rack. The rack kind of adds to the low sleek look of the frame with no tank.

She'll look good either way. I just figured your welding skills look good enough to build your own in frame tank. Even if you had to go a little heavy on the gauge you would be able to keep that old school look, and open up the rear rack. The rack kind of adds to the low sleek look of the frame with no tank.
Hey, your to kind, I'm just hf 90amp welding. I'm actually gonna put a bar on the down tube, even though I sleeved the 2 welded add ons, this Briggs has serious low rmp vibs. I'll add a 1 1/2 x1/4 to the bottom of the mm edgewise and see if that helps.

It should make the mount lot more rigid.You might look into some neoprene vibration isolator pads. You could rig up something with washers and neoprene sandwiching the motor mount plate then bolting into the engine. Probably cut down a lot of vibs. It should hold up well cause they use it on 4x4 susp., and gas and oil don't mess with it.

Last edited:
It should make the mount lot more rigid.You might look into some neoprene vibration isolator pads. You could rig up something with washers and neoprene sandwiching the motor mount plate then bolting into the engine. Probably cut down a lot of vibs. It should hold up well cause they use it on 4x4 susp., and gas and oil don't mess with it.
I just read about 'crank balancing on the other 'site'....among the "didn't know that" is the piston is involved in the weighting and the 3.5 piston is Bigger than the3 -vibs... I will do some comparing of the cranks to see if I can eyeball differences. I've not had a Briggs do the vib thing like this has done. Meantime since I like the build, ill look for a 4hp And check shaft length. The 3.5 was only 1 1/2. Learning experience is never a loss#$%%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back